Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

The night before an exam I can't get any sleep. I'm not an insomniac and I'm generally a healthy person. However even if I'm not that stressed about the exam etc. I get stressed about not getting enough sleep. So I'd go to bed at my normal time and when I realise I'm not asleep yet I start to panic, then I try to make myself go to sleep and I can't then I panic and it sets itself to repeat. This cycle goes on until hours go by and I'm still not asleep, getting more stressed that I'll be really tired the next day for my exam. I've tried the meditation and that helps to an extent but it can't get me to sleep.

Has anyone else experienced this? What do you do to combat it? I'm considering buying tablets as the situation is getting quite bad and threatens to ruin important school exams.

I appreciate your help!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    How about getting up an hour or two earlier than usual the morning before, so that you're more tired in the evening?

In my experience, tablets don't work at making you feel rested, they just give you the rest you need to survive (by all means try them, but don't wait until the night before an exam). A routine can also help - have a hot drink (no caffeine) with a book or magazine in the last 30 minutes before you intend to go to sleep.

ReputationRep:
    This might sound foolish, but I read a really boring and dull book and fall asleep to that pretty quickly. Have you tried that before?
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wowzakid123)
    Hi,

The night before an exam I can't get any sleep. I'm not an insomniac and I'm generally a healthy person. However even if I'm not that stressed about the exam etc. I get stressed about not getting enough sleep. So I'd go to bed at my normal time and when I realise I'm not asleep yet I start to panic, then I try to make myself go to sleep and I can't then I panic and it sets itself to repeat. This cycle goes on until hours go by and I'm still not asleep, getting more stressed that I'll be really tired the next day for my exam. I've tried the meditation and that helps to an extent but it can't get me to sleep.

Has anyone else experienced this? What do you do to combat it? I'm considering buying tablets as the situation is getting quite bad and threatens to ruin important school exams.

I appreciate your help!
    I would say don't buy tablets really - a lot of websites which I've looked at say that tablets are a last resort and really are only tackling the surface problem and not the issues causing your sleeplessness. The way I always solved this problem, like you I'm also someone who struggles with sleep occasionally, is that I turn off anything with a screen on - laptop, TV - and read a book, go for a walk, listen to music and generally calm myself down. The more that you can get yourself into a relaxed state, the better, Of course revise the day before, but make some time just to chill out in the evening and prepare for sleep. There are numerous websites which offer ways of relaxing, but I wouldn't go down the tablet route at all. I was considering it this January and was so glad that I decided against it and went for relaxation techniques instead.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah , if i'm nervous for a exam. Sleeping is quite hard :L

Try reading a book.

ReputationRep:
    How close to bedtime do you keep revising?

ReputationRep:
    Hey sorry, I forgot I made this forum. Thanks for replying, and the same problem's come back again. It normally happens when I'm stressed about something exams etc and even I finish revising well before bedtime I still now kinda expect it to happen and it does :L

ReputationRep:
    I can't share anything useful as I'm just as bad, imo it is really draining and a pain in the ass but your body has at least prepared you for a stressful situation (i.e. you are taking a serious thing seriously). Provided you've done your revision, the exam won';t be *as bad* as you think

If it was most nights/spelling tests however I'd worry you had bad anxiety. Most people would say losing sleep over anything is already anxiety haha

Best advice I can give is distract yourself. *Do not do not do not* sit and stare at the alarm clock thinking omg 3am I'm up at 7 tomorrow I will die and be unemployed by next week my family will kick me out the house my girlfriend will dump me my life is OVER etc. :P this is called 'anticipatory anxiety'.

Good (light-hearted, easy reading) books are great. Anything mundane and relaxing, or stimulating in an enjoyable way may help.

Chamomile tea is pretty good...

I know it is hard but it will get better if you try to be mindful of the fact that your mind is racing before bed and keep reminding yourself it will be OK the next day :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    I've had this every single exam season I've ever done - GCSEs, A-Levels, uni exams; it's never actually affected my performance because I'm usually pretty pumped when it's actually time to do the exam but I know how you feel stress-wise.

I'm not sure how effective they are, but you might want to try Valerian tablets - they're supposed to help with milld anxiety/sleeplessness. Could be a placebo, but they did help me out this summer. Other than that, make sure you eat right and get a lot of exercise. Read before you sleep.

Also, it's important not to stress out about how much sleep you're physically achieving, you can quite easily get yourself into a bad feedback loop where you can't sleep because you're worrying about the fact that you can't sleep... Your brain will function perfectly well for the few weeks you're doing exams even if you're not sleeping well, it tends to be mainly your mood and emotions that are affected by lack of sleep.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, that's a good tip! Someone told me recently that I should get rid of all clocks in my room that way I can't actually check how many hours of sleep i'll get, has anyone done this? And i'm guessing It's pretty hard to do as my alarm is actually on my phone.

ReputationRep:
    hey wowzakid123,

I was the same like you and had troubles falling asleep before the exam day.
    It's a normal reaction where it's not necessary to buy medication.

Why don't you try something natural and change the way you study? Just replace
    your current way of studying with mnemonics.
    You will be amazed of what else you can do.
    Once I applied it the first time to my exam in 4 semester, I slept for 13 hours and
    only needed 5 repetition and could remember my whole study content.

And no...i'm not super smart, but yes, you can get there too

ReputationRep:
    Thanks GetFastMemory

But I'm pretty happy with my revision techniques to be honest, I use these virtual flash cards called anki which work really well. However the issue isn't normally for those sorts of exams, it more the english exams etc that do it, because those exams are more circumstantial so I feel I need more sleep in order to perform my best.

ReputationRep:
    You're welcome.
    You should try meditation for a longer term. Do meditation for 10-30 minutes a day for 100 days.
    Im pretty sure meditation can help you fall asleep. Try meditation in bed when you're ready to sleep. This way you can fall asleep.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I actually use headspace, the mindfullness app and they have sleep 30 day pack so i'll see how that goes±

ReputationRep:
    I do exactly that at Christmas

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.