Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

I read on the AQA site that the A-Levels are changing. I am worried this would effect me taking on an AQA subject next year? Would I still be able to take an AQA subject? Would I be doing the same content before the changes take place? I am just confused from reading the site and thought I would ask someone who knows what is going to happen. If you can help it would be much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    You will not be affected if you start this year. A levels are changing for some SOME subjects for students who start their 2 years of A level study in September 2015. Other subjects change the following year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gdunne42)
    You will not be affected if you start this year. A levels are changing for some SOME subjects for students who start their 2 years of A level study in September 2015. Other subjects change the following year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for the reply,

I would be starting sixth form next year and I was looking at some subjects I could take as a fourth option and I was looking at Sociology and PE on the AQA website and I noticed there was a link explaining a change in A-Levels. Seeming there is a change would this effect my chances at university because the exam board has changed? Also would this mean there could be a change in difficulty for the subjects?

ReputationRep:
    Subjects that change starting 2015 will have all of the exams at the end of the two year course rather than AS in year 12 and A2 in year 13. If it's a fourth A level that you plan to drop after AS you will still be able to do that. They are supposed to be more challenging than the current A levels but who knows. If they are harder, they will be harder for everybody so don't worry about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gdunne42)
    Subjects that change starting 2015 will have all of the exams at the end of the two year course rather than AS in year 12 and A2 in year 13. If it's a fourth A level that you plan to drop after AS you will still be able to do that. They are supposed to be more challenging than the current A levels but who knows. If they are harder, they will be harder for everybody so don't worry about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Okay, thanks for the advice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dani04)
    Thanks for the reply,

I would be starting sixth form next year and I was looking at some subjects I could take as a fourth option and I was looking at Sociology and PE on the AQA website and I noticed there was a link explaining a change in A-Levels. Seeming there is a change would this effect my chances at university because the exam board has changed? Also would this mean there could be a change in difficulty for the subjects?
    It doesn't affect us because we start September 2014 not September 2015, and it won't affect our chances of getting into uni because syllabus changes will never affect things such as that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yellowcopter)
    It doesn't affect us because we start September 2014 not September 2015, and it won't affect our chances of getting into uni because syllabus changes will never affect things such as that.
    I'm starting sixth form in 2015 so from the replies above it would affect me which makes me disappointed really because it's now going to be more challenging! I won't be as worried picking an AQA subject anymore now from knowing it won't affect my chances of getting into University!

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting sixth form in 2015 so from the replies above it would affect me which makes me disappointed really because it's now going to be more challenging! I won't be as worried picking an AQA subject anymore now from knowing it won't affect my chances of getting into University!
    Oh my bad, sorry! Don't worry though, I'm sure the changes won't be that bad, they're probably only minor so you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Just to clarify, these changes are across ALL the awarding bodies.

ReputationRep:
    Oh my bad, sorry! Don't worry though, I'm sure the changes won't be that bad, they're probably only minor so you'll be fine.
    Don't be sorry haha it's cool! Thanks for the advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danconway)
    Just to clarify, these changes are across ALL the awarding bodies.
    Sorry I am a little stupid haha, could you elaborate on what your saying? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I am a little stupid haha, could you elaborate on what your saying? Thanks!
    Not at all! Just remember that EVERYONE'S in the same boat: it's not just AQA who are changing A Levels - the changes are happening across all the exam boards: therefore it follows that ALL A Levels will be harder, and universities will be aware of the changes and will know that the standard is higher. And you're on a level playing field with everyone taking A levels, because everyone's sitting the new ones.

Also, you might have it relatively easier, because exam boards may overestimate the difficulty of the exams and set slightly lower grade boundaries to be 'kind'. Anyway, this is me thinking out loud.

Point is, that your sixth form will be up to speed and will teach you accordingly. Just focus on passing the buggers

ReputationRep:
    Don't be sorry haha it's cool! Thanks for the advice.
    It's okay, best of luck.

He meant that all the exam boards are changing their courses, not just AQA but also Edexcel, OCR and the rest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danconway)
    Not at all! Just remember that EVERYONE'S in the same boat: it's not just AQA who are changing A Levels - the changes are happening across all the exam boards: therefore it follows that ALL A Levels will be harder, and universities will be aware of the changes and will know that the standard is higher. And you're on a level playing field with everyone taking A levels, because everyone's sitting the new ones.

Also, you might have it relatively easier, because exam boards may overestimate the difficulty of the exams and set slightly lower grade boundaries to be 'kind'. Anyway, this is me thinking out loud.

Point is, that your sixth form will be up to speed and will teach you accordingly. Just focus on passing the buggers
    Haha okay thank you!

ReputationRep:
    It's okay, best of luck.

He meant that all the exam boards are changing their courses, not just AQA but also Edexcel, OCR and the rest.
    Oh, okay!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.