Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Students who get an A* grade in English are more clever than those doing Math/Science Watch

ReputationRep:
    EDIT - This is at GCSE and A Level standard

Couldn't fit the title I wanted in its entirety so see below.

So students who get an A* grade in English are more clever than students getting an A* grade in subjects such as Math and Science.

Don't you all think that I am correct. I've been talking to other TSRians and wanted to pose the aforementioned question.

Subjects such as Maths,Science etc. are easy, a piece of cake to metaphorise(my new word) it.. Anyone can remember trends in ionisation energies but it is obvious that remembering quotes requires a higher skill of dexterity. And also for subjects such as Maths - past papers are in abundance, and there are websites which spoon-feed you the material, i.e. Exam Solutions. Not like English - where you have to do all the work independently.

Subjects like Biology are particularly easy revise the book and there is your A*, not like English Lit where you could get asked so many different types of questions.

Subjects like Eng lit requires both hard work and natural talent - something that you only really need a bit-part work ethic to do for Maths and Science subjects.

It's much more difficult to remember the PEE structure and to quote what where and talk about all of the linguistic devices - whilst keeping under time management. On the flipside rearranging equations is second nature to everyone - not too difficult imo. I'll tell you what's difficult the amount of time you have to set aside in reading, and writing for REAL subjects like English Literature and History :yep:

I consider myself to be correct in my reasoning here, and so I don't want all you mathsy students having a go at me. There are no right or wrong answers in english, making it even more difficult to attain an A* and we have coursework making a large percentage of our final grade - whereas maths students - edexcel - have their grade solely based on the exams they take.

Lastly all of you maths and science students seething behind your computer screen, or phone screen if you are out and about - sit down you know I'm right :yep: I hope you are not too mad.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Of course I'm ******* joking, but I had you all going there for a while,didn't I

Now discuss.

Spoiler:
    Show

(Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    x
    (Original post by Arithmeticae)
    x
    (Original post by omghacklol)
    x

ReputationRep:
    You have to be joking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fnatic NateDestiel)
    Couldn't fit the title I wanted in its entirety so see below.

So students who get an A* grade in English are more clever than students getting an A* grade in subjects such as Math and Science.

Don't you all think that I am correct. I've been talking to other TSRians and wanted to pose the aforementioned question.

Subjects such as Maths,Science etc. are easy, a piece of cake I to metaphorise(my new word) it.. Anyone can remember trends in ionisation energies but it obvious that remembering quotes requires a higher skill of dexterity. And also for subjects such as Maths - past papers are in abundance, and there are websites which spoon-feed you the material, i.e. Exam Solutions. Not like English - where you have to do all the work independently.

Subjects like Biology are particularly easy revise the book and there is your A*, not like English Lit where you could get asked so many different types of questions.

Subjects like Eng lit requires both hard work and natural talent - something that you only really need a bit-part work ethic to do for Maths and Science subjects.

It's much more difficult to remember the PEE structure and to quote what where and talk about all of the linguistic devices - whilst keeping under time management. On the flipside rearranging equations is second nature to everyone - not too difficult imo. I'll tell you what's difficult the amount of time you have to set aside in reading, and writing for REAL subjects like English Literature and History :yep:

I consider myself to be correct in my reasoning here, and so I don't want all you mathsy students having a go at me. There are no right or wrong answers in english, making it even more difficult to attain an A* and we have coursework making a large percentage of our final grade - whereas maths students - edexcel - have their grade solely based on the exams they take.

Lastly all of you maths and science students seething behind your computer screen, or phone screen if you are out and about - sit down you know I'm right :yep: I hope you are not too mad.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Of course I'm ******* joking, but I had you all going there for a while,didn't I

Now discuss.
    I am glad you're joking! I nearly had a panic attack!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Secretnerd123)
    You have to be joking
    Check his spoiler!

ReputationRep:
    Holy **** OP.

ReputationRep:
    A* in English and sciences and maths GCSE checking in. Master race status

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I bet you're "joking" because of your fear of an argument.

ReputationRep:
    The subjects just use different skills. I wouldn't say either makes people more intelligent, just different. It does seem strange to me when people say that English is easy compared to maths and science - at GCSE I was comfortably able to get A*s in science and maths, but unable to get A*s in English or English lit, and it's not like I didn't try. People on this website often write off degrees such as English as doss subjects, but I'm pretty sure I would have struggled more with that than I did with my chemistry degree, so I admire people who do have the necessary talents.

ReputationRep:
    getting an A* in English is better than an A* in Maths or Physics? Adonbillivit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thechemistress)
    Holy **** OP.
    I'm sorry my friend. The englishstress has a better ring to it /loljk

Did you like the read

(Original post by Dani04)
    Check his spoiler!

(Original post by Reptilian)

Yep me too, we should make a tsr society xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by Ndella)
    I bet you're "joking" because of your fear of an argument.
    Quite the contrary TSR user Ndella - I do the maths and sciences, #inb4thestorm

ReputationRep:
    Can confirm, tbh most of the people who are supposed to get A* in english (at least in my classes) are smarter than me

ReputationRep:
    Why not A*s in both?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    x
    You have way too much time on your hands! :rolleyes:

But I think in a way some of it is quite true. English Lit. is pretty difficult so you should give credit to those who get A*s in the subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry my friend. The englishstress has a better ring to it /loljk

Did you like the read

theenglishstress is such a ****ty name

Indeed. It did hold some truth, I guess. Though an important thing to remember is that whilst some sciences (like biology) are pure memorisation, others (chemistry and physics) are more understanding and application- which is where a lot of people struggle. People do find it hard to grasp some of the key concepts of science

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arithmeticae)
    Can confirm

Do you mean at GCSE tho? I really don't think it means anything tbh
    xD

No I meant both, mate I got fed up of people thinking that Eng is a real subject at degree and a level on here and irl.

Nor do I, but it needed to be said.
    (Original post by Zen-Ali)
    Why not A*s in both?
    In gcse for sure.

No point english at a level tbh

ReputationRep:
    ''more clever''

really? You're certainly not cleverer then...i imagine no A*s in english for you lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karmacrunch)
    You have way too much time on your hands! :rolleyes:

But I think in a way some of it is quite true. English Lit. is pretty difficult so you should give credit to those who get A*s in the subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's been said :yep:

At gcse I was one of those too, I'm sorry I just don't think it is real though per se.

theenglishstress is such a ****ty name

Indeed. It did hold some truth, I guess. Though an important thing to remember is that whilst some sciences (like biology) are pure memorisation, others (chemistry and physics) are more understanding and application- which is where a lot of people struggle. People do find it hard to grasp some of the key concepts of science
    IDD :P

I for one think Chemistry is the most difficult science, but you are right yeah.

Judging from your name I would say you disagree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reptilian)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    GCSEs tho.

Don't count

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    IDD :P

I for one think Chemistry is the most difficult science, but you are right yeah.

Judging from your name I would say you disagree
    IDD? I don't dance?

Nah, I think Physics is more difficult. But then again, some people will disagree with me xD

ReputationRep:
    IDD? I don't dance?

Nah, I think Physics is more difficult. But then again, some people will disagree with me xD

No lol, I don't deny, or I don't disagree.

Everyone loves benzene <3

Helpful hint that no-one told me for physics.

Look at the units of the answer given in the question. For example if you are stuck and have no idea what to do on a phy question and the units are ms^-1, do distance/time. Picked up a lot more marks than if I hadn't had realised that personally.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.