Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Journalism graduate and have worked in a high school for 2 years now as a teaching assistant. I have a new job starting in September as a HLTA but I am struggling to get into teaching!

The past applications I have made were to teach English at high school level, however, it has come back that my degree isn't enough English to teach it and there are no Media PGCE's in my area! (Manchester)

I really want to teach, but I can't find a way in!

Can anyone help?

Thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    Could you find out how many OU courses in English would qualify you?

ReputationRep:
    how about qualifying at primary or FE level and teaching to those age groups?

ReputationRep:
    I tried to apply for primary TA jobs this year to get the experience but I didnt even manage to get an interview?! Which I was shocked about considering I managed to get a HLTA job in a high school!

I still am considering Primary but I will have to keep applying for jobs in one when September comes.

As for the OU they only do masters which are too expensive!

ReputationRep:
    Don't be disheartened about not getting a TA job - hundreds of people apply for them because it is such a lovely job and if you are a parent it fits in with school days and school holidays. Sometimes they go to someone who is already within the school - so someone who has been working as a dinner lady - they know the person works well and knows the children.
    They may also have felt you were over qualified or would move on to something else.
    Don't give up hope - would you consider moving away to study next year? Or are there jobs available for your subject? Once you get to post-16 there are less strict requirements for being QTS and you can do the PTLS etc as you teach - would that be something you could consider?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessikaa)
    I tried to apply for primary TA jobs this year to get the experience but I didnt even manage to get an interview?! Which I was shocked about considering I managed to get a HLTA job in a high school!

I still am considering Primary but I will have to keep applying for jobs in one when September comes.

As for the OU they only do masters which are too expensive!
    You can do individual modules in English with the OU, which I think is what the poster was referring to to help you 'top up' your knowledge.
    English is extremely competitive, with many people with English degrees being turned away in their first application cycle. You say you secured a hlta post, ask the school whether they would consider signing up to schools direct and training you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.