Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I have gone through all 23 pages of the Numberwang thread and I still don't really understand this game
    And all the people that have tried to explain to others are saying 'it's so simple I don't get how you're not getting it'

I still don't understand and have watched an episode?!

So I understand that the next number has to relate to the previous one but how do you get to decimals????? And in what ways can you relate the number? And what even is the aim of the game, what type of number ends the round and makes you the winner?!

Wtf is a numberwang
    Wtf is a wang

Haha I am just slightly frustrated lol?! :mad::mad::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Also I didn't post this in the other thread cause I didn't want to interrupt the game.
    Please can someone answer my questions and explain the game thoroughly rather than 'it just has to relate to the previous number' thank you very much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by melody19)
    Ok so I have gone through all 23 pages of the Numberwang thread and I still don't really understand this game
    And all the people that have tried to explain to others are saying 'it's so simple I don't get how you're not getting it'

I still don't understand and have watched an episode?!

So I understand that the next number has to relate to the previous one but how do you get to decimals????? And in what ways can you relate the number? And what even is the aim of the game, what type of number ends the round and makes you the winner?!

Wtf is a numberwang
    Wtf is a wang

Haha I am just slightly frustrated lol?! :mad::mad::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Also I didn't post this in the other thread cause I didn't want to interrupt the game.
    Please can someone answer my questions and explain the game thoroughly rather than 'it just has to relate to the previous number' thank you very much

Okay, the best way I can explain is with an example.

A: 5
    B: 17
    A: 244.4544
    B: 2
    That's Numberwang!

A: 11
    B: 7
    A: 13
    B: 711
    A: 11,711
    That's Numberwang!

I hope that helps The pattern is pretty clear once you see it

ReputationRep:
    I really hope you're joking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 99DeadBaboons)
    Okay, the best way I can explain is with an example.

A: 5
    B: 17
    A: 244.4544
    B: 2
    That's Numberwang!

A: 11
    B: 7
    A: 13
    B: 711
    A: 11,711
    That's Numberwang!

I hope that helps The pattern is pretty clear once you see it
    Thank you for answering!

I am seeing patterns but I still can't really grasp how the game works. Would you mind possibly explaining each step and why you chose that particular number? :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Pesto)
    I really hope you're joking.
    Hahahaha sadly not.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for answering!

I am seeing patterns but I still can't really grasp how the game works. Would you mind possibly explaining each step and why you chose that particular number? :o:
    Well, it's really a process of elimination. There's a video here which explains the rules better than I could: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ofnDdi-vfw

ReputationRep:
    Bear in mind these rules only apply to European Numberwang

To be Numberwang, a number must satisfy the following rules simultaneously

1. It must be able to splice the Matterhorn within a period of 3 minutes

2. Its 'Wang factor' must be equal to or greater to that of the Euler-Mascheroni constant

3. It must begin with a sound that is equal to the end of the preceding Wang

Also, if a number is equivalent to the previous number and satisfies these rules, it is Wangernumb and the boards must be rotated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arithmeticae)

2. Its 'Wang factor' must be equal to or greater to that of the Euler-Mascheroni constant

Also, if a number is equivalent to the previous number and satisfies these rules, it is Wangernumb and the boards must be rotated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Don't forget that the second one doesn't apply to prime numbers.

(Original post by Dr Pesto)
      Don't forget that the second one doesn't apply to prime numbers.
      Isn't 23 the only Numberwang number for which 2) is actually true? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by 99DeadBaboons)
      Well, it's really a process of elimination. There's a video here which explains the rules better than I could: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ofnDdi-vfw
      Omg I'm still as confused

(Original post by Arithmeticae)

Posted from TSR Mobile
      Isn't the Matterhorn a mountain?

Ok thank you for the replies but I am still as confused as ever or even more so maybe.

All the sketches I've seen seem to me like it's just for comedy and there are not real rules. Is this actually a real game or am I being trolled?!?! The only reason I thought it could be real is cause everyone on the Numberwang thread seems so serious about it :confused::confused:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Blackacre)
      Yeah, but that's covered by Coppenheim's Numberwang differential

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Blackacre)
      Ah, of course. I'm just used to playing the original latin version of the game and I got mixed up.

ReputationRep:
      Ok guys enough, I've discovered it's not real hahahahahaha :p:

ReputationRep:
      Ok guys enough, I've discovered it's not real hahahahahaha :p:
      PRSOM :console:

Don't worry, I got trolled too

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
      PRSOM :console:

Don't worry, I got trolled too
      Haha thank you

Oh gosh here I am getting so worked up about it, I should have known (also I'm glad I'm not the only one!!)

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 1, 2014
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Forum Games Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.