Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey there!

I wish to study Chemistry in the future. The majority of universities I have researched only mention needing three A-Levels, I am definitely taking Chemistry, Mathematics and Biology, however for a fourth option I plan to take a soft subject and drop it after AS. Would universities ask to know about the fourth AS? If so would they compare you to other applicants who have a different AS? The help would be appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    You need to tell every university every qualification and exam you've ever taken, so yes they will know about it. They will compare you to applicants with a different AS, and it might make the difference as to whether you get a place or not, if you apply to top universities.

ReputationRep:
    I say this on here a lot. If it's not in the offer, the vast majority of universities - even Russel group ones - don't care about any extra A/AS levels you've done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonzza_81)
    I say this on here a lot. If it's not in the offer, the vast majority of universities - even Russel group ones - don't care about any extra A/AS levels you've done.
    Your evidence for this is where? Of course they care; it is getting harder and harder to get into popular degrees, and there need be be discriminators. They might make the offer partially on the basis that the fourth AS-level is in a stronger subject than someone else, even if they don't put it in the actual offer. A factor doesn't need to be in the offer to have had an influence in making the offer.

ReputationRep:
    let me expand a bit. If a university's made you an offer of AAA and you got three A's in solid subjects including chemistry, they won't care if you did an as level in sitting around scratching your backside, you'll get in. If you're predicted three A's then they will almost certainly make you an offer. There are some instances where it could make the tiniest bit of difference, like if you fell just short of your offer the university may be more likely to let you in anyway if you have an extra as level in a related subject. If you want to get into oxbridge and possibly 1 or 2 other ultra-competitive universities then an extra a/as level will be a big help.

ReputationRep:
    I intend to apply for chemistry with maths @ UCL this year; I phoned the admissions tutor and asked basically the same question. He said they make an offer for 3 subjects and quite frankly could not care less about anything else. I would assume this goes for the majority of other universities. I asked if taking a fourth subject/extra AS (during my A2 year) would make my application stronger and he said no

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pectorac)
    Your evidence for this is where? Of course they care; it is getting harder and harder to get into popular degrees, and there need be be discriminators. They might make the offer partially on the basis that the fourth AS-level is in a stronger subject than someone else, even if they don't put it in the actual offer. A factor doesn't need to be in the offer to have had an influence in making the offer.
    Evidence? I have applied to study chemistry starting this September. I had interviews at a few universities. In those interviews they never asked me about the other subjects I was taking (maths and physics), they only focused on chemistry.
    If a degree course is oversubscribed then the university increases the entry requirements, rather than looking at and making secret judgments on each applicant's additional AS level.

ReputationRep:
    They don't really care. They expect students to apply with 3 A2s and an AS. They want chemistry, and at least another science usually. The more science the better, as it all comes into play during a chemistry degree.

It makes no difference if your fourth AS is irrelevant. I did spanish, it's a rigorous subject, but it's still not relevant to chemistry, I didn't have anyone bothering about it. People were on my course with psychology etc. It's handy to have it as physics or whatever you've not done, but meh. It's handy for yourself, but the university will still have to teach basic biology, maths, and physics units during first year because not everybody enters with the same qualifications. If you do take them, i.e. I had biology, you may not have to do the level 1 module. Instead, I took a module of German with those credits.

ReputationRep:
    Considering the massive overlap between physics and chemistry, if I were to do chemistry, I'd definitely take physics alongside.

I have not looked at that requirements for chemistry entry of course

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.