Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Considering becoming a vegan(ish)...will dis stop dem gains? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I simply don't like the amount of **** that goes into the food chain, antibiotics for example.

I will continue to eat lamb, as they have such a short life they don't usually get pumped full of the same crap that cows or chickens are. But it is expensive and also I'm not sure what the fickle science/bro-science community are currently recommending on eating red meat as they seem to change their minds so often...

I'm wondering if anyone has any examples of high calorie meals that don't consist on any meat products?

Will not taking meat affect dem gains you think?

ReputationRep:
    no it won't affect your gains provided you're still hitting your cals/macros
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    So much wrong with your statement

All drugs used on animals must have a Meat/ Milk withdrawl times

Sheep get not a dissimilar amount of stuff to other animals

Antibiotic growth promoters, steroids etc are all banned and have been for years.

If you don't want to eat meat, fine. I have no problem with that if that's your ethical decision, however spreading such myths is ridiculous

I'm a vet student btw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    So much wrong with your statement

All drugs used on animals must have a Meat/ Milk withdrawl times

Sheep get not a dissimilar amount of stuff to other animals

Antibiotic growth promoters, steroids etc are all banned and have been for years.

If you don't want to eat meat, fine. I have no problem with that if that's your ethical decision, however spreading such myths is ridiculous

I'm a vet student btw

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2...stant-bacteria

Say what you want, but simply not enough is known on the matter for you to tarnish my post as a myth, likewise for you to treat your comment like it is a proven fact, it isn't. It is currently being research and nobody know for sure what the damages, if any to the human immune system may be.

Lamb have short lives if begin farmed for meat, between 1 month and 12 months. So no, lamb get considerably less stuff compared to say a cow does.

I've worked on sheep farms as well as with cattle for both meat and dairy btw
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Yes antiobiotics are overused

They're criminally overused in medicine aswell

Say what you want, but simply not enough is known on the matter for you to tarnish my post as a myth,
    That antiobiotics are overused everywhere, but efforts are there to stop there use. Use of prophlaxis is illegal under AGP banning.

likewise for you to treat your comment like it is a proven fact, it isn't. It is currently being research and nobody know for sure what the damages, if any to the human immune system may be.
    Yes there is. It's called a Meat/ Milk Withdrawl Time, it's the amount of time for a drug to be undetectable in the body. Buy organic food and this time is doubles.

Lamb have short lives if begin farmed for meat, between 1 month and 12 months. So no, lamb get considerably less stuff compared to say a cow does.
    Actually 6 months - 2 years usually.

A pig - 4-6 months

An organic chicken - 81 days

I've worked on sheep farms as well as with cattle for both meat and dairy btw
    I've worked on dairy farms, sheep farms, pig farms, poultry farms and seen all kinds of practice as well as having been lectured at length on the subject. So what's your point.

ReputationRep:
    I've worked on dairy farms, sheep farms, pig farms, poultry farms and seen all kinds of practice as well as having been lectured at length on the subject. So what's your point.
    When you say worked, you fed them? milked them? Took them to the slaughter houses? etc etc etc on a daily basis for longer than a few weeks work experience/placement here and there?

My point is you are a vet student, not a farmer and not a vet.

Also not once have I ever used a lamb over 1 year for meat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greg Jackson)
    no it won't affect your gains provided you're still hitting your cals/macros
    ^This

The only issue is going to be lack of protein in your diet depending on what you mean by vegan, e.g. are you eating eggs? Milk?

If it is just the meat then make sure you're still eating complete protein sources at every meal to maximise absorption and use whey shakes if at all possible (I can't help but feel you won't hit protein targets by just eating lamb with eggs, nuts, soy etc.)

To hit calorie targets if you're significantly short, the only stuff you'll really lose from not eating beef, pork etc. is the fat; you'll take in protein via more shakes. Get some nuts, fish oil, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ttankzhang)
    ^This

The only issue is going to be lack of protein in your diet depending on what you mean by vegan, e.g. are you eating eggs? Milk?

If it is just the meat then make sure you're still eating complete protein sources at every meal to maximise absorption and use whey shakes if at all possible (I can't help but feel you won't hit protein targets by just eating lamb with eggs, nuts, soy etc.)

To hit calorie targets if you're significantly short, the only stuff you'll really lose from not eating beef, pork etc. is the fat; you'll take in protein via more shakes. Get some nuts, fish oil, etc.
    A vegan who ate eggs wouldn't be a very good vegan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h3isenberg)
    A vegan who ate eggs wouldn't be a very good vegan
    In my defence, he said he was still eating lamb...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ttankzhang)
    In my defence, he said he was still eating lamb...
    Yeah that also baffled me...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Et Tu, Brute?)
    When you say worked, you fed them? milked them? Took them to the slaughter houses? etc etc etc on a daily basis for longer than a few weeks work experience/placement here and there?

lol you can't retort anything I say. So call me out for not knowing about animal husbandry. Shame all your drugs are prescribed by my profession :rolleyes: I might have an idea about that

For the record I've worked on dairy farms since I was 13, for months at a time. I've worked on a sheep farm for a month and I can say there's still drugs and vaccines etc used in sheep lots as well. I also have bred and reared my own pigs and poultry.

Some sheep take up to a year to fatten, sometimes they're kept on for hogget or mutton.

Saying I don't know what I'm talking about as I'm a vet student is ridiculous

It's like saying you don't know anything to a doctor as I'm an educated patient :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    lol you can't retort anything I say. So call me out for not knowing about animal husbandry. Shame all your drugs are prescribed by my profession :rolleyes: I might have an idea about that

For the record I've worked on dairy farms since I was 13, for months at a time. I've worked on a sheep farm for a month and I can say there's still drugs and vaccines etc used in sheep lots as well. I also have bred and reared my own pigs and poultry.

Some sheep take up to a year to fatten, sometimes they're kept on for hogget or mutton.

Saying I don't know what I'm talking about as I'm a vet student is ridiculous

It's like saying you don't know anything to a doctor as I'm an educated patient :facepalm:

I was being a **** yesterday, I was having a bad day and I was being a ****, simple as that. I take back everything I said. I actually knew you were right but I was in a terrible mood. Sorry.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I was being a **** yesterday, I was having a bad day and I was being a ****, simple as that. I take back everything I said. I actually knew you were right but I was in a terrible mood. Sorry.
    Cool, no hard feelings. I appreciate your comment

Glad to see you've started blogging again

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    It's quite possible to gain on a vegan diet - you've just got to make sure you're getting your calories and macronutrients. It can be harder because there are fewer calorific and protein-dense foods, and you would probably have to spend more of your time preparing food, but it's far from impossible. It's the same drill - make sure you know the nutritional content of what you're eating so you can adjust it and find meals that work for you.

ReputationRep:
    Frank Medrano.

Nuff' said

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

:lol: I have to admit most of your remarks were pretty good and made my laugh, the stuff you said about antibiotics is also true.
    Look up veganbodybuilding.com

ReputationRep:
    It's very possible but, like with any diet, you have to make sure you're getting enough carbs, proteins, fats and calories for optimal muscle growth. I'd recommend using a protein powder if you don't want to be eating tons of volume, though. There's plenty of vegan bodybuilders out there that you might want to look into. Good luck!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 7, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.