Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

Just wanted to hear from current students of Speech Therapy, and wondered if you used cadavers - whether it is whole or ....cross sections? .... and which uni you go to?

Just curious, am not really worried about it, but I know of OT's having to 'utilise' them.

I assume it is - for SLT's - shoulders and up? or parts such as throat?

I also thought anyone who IS worrying, or thinking of applying, may like to know which uni's to avoid if they are more squeamish.

So, yes, do you use cadavers in your SLT course, which uni do you go to, and any other useful info please?!

Also if any current SLT's from Cardiff Met please can you message me! Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    'alllo? Is there anybody allliiiiive out there??? Can you hear me??? Dude... it's like a morgue in here....
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very few universities have cadavers and those that do are generally ones that train doctors (though many of those don't either). I can't imagine many speech therapy degrees would include time in a cadaver lab. We got 45mins on my paramedic course to have a look and that was only because the course had good connections within the biomed section of the uni. Most health courses didn't get any time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you want to look at cadavers there is a body exhibition on in Newcastle upon Tyne until November.
    Hopefully im off tomorrow!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Haha... I was just wondering as it seems to be something that people never mention, but I remember from my first degree my best friend coming home looking a bit green, and saying they were all just frogmarched in without warning (she's an OT), and some refused to go in, others went in and freaked out and others that threw up... I just like to be well aware of something before I have to do it.... I am not a huge fan of surprises!

Good to know there is an exhibit though, but a bit far from Cardiff! Thanks for the responses!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EL704)
    Haha... I was just wondering as it seems to be something that people never mention, but I remember from my first degree my best friend coming home looking a bit green, and saying they were all just frogmarched in without warning (she's an OT), and some refused to go in, others went in and freaked out and others that threw up... I just like to be well aware of something before I have to do it.... I am not a huge fan of surprises!

Good to know there is an exhibit though, but a bit far from Cardiff! Thanks for the responses!
    Oh god don't tell me OT's have to do that. Was that Cardiff uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Staceyc1990)
    Oh god don't tell me OT's have to do that. Was that Cardiff uni?
    Was Southampton Uni 2004-07 - so they may have updated their way of doing things.... but my friend said it wasn't that bad really, because you use it to see real life examples to learn from and you suddenly start seeing the parts that you know and unconsciously start labelling in your head, so less thinking OMG dead arm!!!! than heck yeah, check out that ulna!

This is precisely why it should be stated on the course outlines you know, "PS, we do kind of have to look at cadaver parts.... deep breath... you'll be fine...but don't worry too much...."

It may be possible at Cardiff Uni, as they do work at UHW as do the Speech Therapists ( Cardiff Met) hence the question being asked, but haven't had replies from anyone specifically doing my or your course, so who knows? :eek3:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.