Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Moving to England from Northern Ireland Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have pretty much less than 2 years left at University and we are looking at leaving Northern Ireland. Previously lived in America for over 4 years where we had our kids but moved back to N.Ireland for various personal reasons.
    I started Uni as a mature student at 29 so have a bit of life experience and 3 kids too boot.
    To be honest, we hate N.Ireland. We feel drained mentally from the constant political crap here. The hatred, the sectarian attitudes the band parades, bonfies, murals of paramiltaries all over. Not to mention the night life literally shuts down at 1am.
    Our eldest child is now 5 years old and we really don't want to be raising them in this environment. He is already asking questions about masked gunmen painted on street corners.
    So we are looking at moving to England once I graduate. My question is based on the better parts of England.
    London is great but would not want to live there. We do like the South east region of England.
    Wales and Scotland are not even within consideration.

Where would you go as a young family?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fuzzyfeet)
    I have pretty much less than 2 years left at University and we are looking at leaving Northern Ireland. Previously lived in America for over 4 years where we had our kids but moved back to N.Ireland for various personal reasons.
    I started Uni as a mature student at 29 so have a bit of life experience and 3 kids too boot.
    To be honest, we hate N.Ireland. We feel drained mentally from the constant political crap here. The hatred, the sectarian attitudes the band parades, bonfies, murals of paramiltaries all over. Not to mention the night life literally shuts down at 1am.
    Our eldest child is now 5 years old and we really don't want to be raising them in this environment. He is already asking questions about masked gunmen painted on street corners.
    So we are looking at moving to England once I graduate. My question is based on the better parts of England.
    London is great but would not want to live there. We do like the South east region of England.
    Wales and Scotland are not even within consideration.

Where would you go as a young family?
    Everyone likes the South East, that's why they all keep coming here It's more expensive though, and some places really aren't that great. Kinda like the rest of the country.

I wouldn't rule out Scotland and Wales just yet, there are some very nice areas in both. Glasgow is generally considered to be incredibly rough, but I've also heard (from someone who used to live there but I can't remember the name of the place[s]) that there are areas in Scotland where you can leave your door open all night and have no fear of anyone intruding (small community mentality, everybody knows everybody).

All you're going to get from this thread is "Come to x region of the country!", which is useless because unless they give you a specific street name within a specific town you might end up moving into a rough neighbourhood in a nice part of the country. Take my town for instance: it's small (ish), with really nice houses on the seafront. Clearly an affluent area. 30-40 minute walk away is one of the roughest parts of the town where you're likely to get stabbed after being asked for a rizla.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)
    Everyone likes the South East, that's why they all keep coming here It's more expensive though, and some places really aren't that great. Kinda like the rest of the country.

I wouldn't rule out Scotland and Wales just yet, there are some very nice areas in both. Glasgow is generally considered to be incredibly rough, but I've also heard (from someone who used to live there but I can't remember the name of the place[s]) that there are areas in Scotland where you can leave your door open all night and have no fear of anyone intruding (small community mentality, everybody knows everybody).

All you're going to get from this thread is "Come to x region of the country!", which is useless because unless they give you a specific street name within a specific town you might end up moving into a rough neighbourhood in a nice part of the country. Take my town for instance: it's small (ish), with really nice houses on the seafront. Clearly an affluent area. 30-40 minute walk away is one of the roughest parts of the town where you're likely to get stabbed after being asked for a rizla.
    No Scotland is defo ruled out. I visit Glasgow rather often as my family live in Scotland. Glasgow city is great but would not want to live there. Besides Glasgow has all the same sectarian crap that is in Belfast. Celtic / Rangers rubbish.

I am open to most places in England. Won't be moving to a council estate lol. We just prefer further south as it is nicer weather and London is closer. I am a die hard Arsenal fan so would be nice to be able to attend matches every so often.

We will be travelling over to visit potential areas and see what my Computer Science degree will get me in those areas.

ReputationRep:
    If you're looking for friendly and safe places to raise a family, seriously consider the north of England.

Birmingham is passed off as a rough place, but it hasn't been for at least 20 years. Look at places like York or Lancaster, historical, cultured and incredibly friendly.

My experience of the south is they are very unwelcoming of outsiders, whereas people from the north don't really care where you're from and will judge you as you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheGuava)
    If you're looking for friendly and safe places to raise a family, seriously consider the north of England.

Birmingham is passed off as a rough place, but it hasn't been for at least 20 years. Look at places like York or Lancaster, historical, cultured and incredibly friendly.

My experience of the south is they are very unwelcoming of outsiders, whereas people from the north don't really care where you're from and will judge you as you.
    York is beautiful.
    I have been to London few times and they were not friendly at all. Same as in New York etc. Seems the bigger the city the less friendly they are.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.