Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Training routine for a long-term hike? Watch

ReputationRep:
    In just over a year, I'm going to do a 6-week, 400 mile hike through the Australian bush, and am wondering about what kind of training to do to prepare as well as I can.

The hike involves steep climbs and descents of mountains, with peaks of up to 2500m, as well as minor rock-climbing, fording rivers and hiking through overgrown terrain. (God, I must be mad, but it's for a good cause )

I've started very light training, obviously walking around town wherever I can, as well as a couple of 10-mile walks to the next town.

Can anyone suggest a training programme (doesn't have to be specific!) that will best prepare me for what I'm planning to do? I'm thinking to concentrate on cardio, but I know I'll also need to build my strength for the rock climbs etc. Am I thinking along the right lines here?

All advice greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by askew116)
    In just over a year, I'm going to do a 6-week, 400 mile hike through the Australian bush, and am wondering about what kind of training to do to prepare as well as I can.

The hike involves steep climbs and descents of mountains, with peaks of up to 2500m, as well as minor rock-climbing, fording rivers and hiking through overgrown terrain. (God, I must be mad, but it's for a good cause )

I've started very light training, obviously walking around town wherever I can, as well as a couple of 10-mile walks to the next town.

Can anyone suggest a training programme (doesn't have to be specific!) that will best prepare me for what I'm planning to do? I'm thinking to concentrate on cardio, but I know I'll also need to build my strength for the rock climbs etc. Am I thinking along the right lines here?

All advice greatly appreciated.
    Secret Compass Expeditions outline a good 12 week base fitness program for hiking:

http://www.secretcompass.com/wp-cont...ing-Guide4.pdf

I wouldn't treat that as a cure-all, rather a good place to start.

As for the ascents/descents and scrambling I would supplement the above with Mountain Athlete's Bodyweight and Peak Bagging routines (first the BW routine, then Peak Bagger).

A year gives you plenty of time to prepare but a few walks about town and a few 10 miles strolls certainly won't cut the mustard. They're probably make every effort to ensure that you complete it but you will be in for a world of hurt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    Secret Compass Expeditions outline a good 12 week base fitness program for hiking:

http://www.secretcompass.com/wp-cont...ing-Guide4.pdf

I wouldn't treat that as a cure-all, rather a good place to start.

As for the ascents/descents and scrambling I would supplement the above with Mountain Athlete's Bodyweight and Peak Bagging routines (first the BW routine, then Peak Bagger).

A year gives you plenty of time to prepare but a few walks about town and a few 10 miles strolls certainly won't cut the mustard. They're probably make every effort to ensure that you complete it but you will be in for a world of hurt.
    Great link there! (y)

I'm looking forward to the process of training but slightly dreading it at the same time!

ReputationRep:
    Sounds fun! Get a weighted vest or put some weight in a backpack, stick a treadmill on the highest incline and go for time.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.