Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If you are Chinese or know anyone who is please at least pass on the message that they do not need to kill the few remaining tigers, there are better alternatives.

News article
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by NJA)
    If you are Chinese or know anyone who is please at least pass on the message that they do not need to kill the few remaining tigers, there are better alternatives.

News article
    I don't really understand what you think this is going to achieve. It's not as if the average Chinese person can do anything about it. This is an issue that needs to be addressed by the Chinese government.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chlorophile)
    I don't really understand what you think this is going to achieve. It's not as if the average Chinese person can do anything about it. This is an issue that needs to be addressed by the Chinese government.
    Ideally yes, but if many individuals get educated it will have the desired effect.

Same with other great ideas.

Culturally, China is mimicking the west, Chinese orchestra at the proms, fashion, architecture, etc, why not medicine?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It's terrible when you hear about things like this, but I don't get why people aren't undercutting the black market trade with fakes. Because tiger/rhino parts have no medicinal properties there would be no noticeable effect on the 'medicine' they're used for, and if prepared properly would surely be indistinguishable to the naked eye. If you undercut the product enough it wouldn't become worth the poachers efforts/risk of death to hunt the real thing. It might not completely remove the business, but would surely do something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    It's terrible when you hear about things like this, but I don't get why people aren't undercutting the black market trade with fakes. Because tiger/rhino parts have no medicinal properties there would be no noticeable effect on the 'medicine' they're used for, and if prepared properly would surely be indistinguishable to the naked eye. If you undercut the product enough it wouldn't become worth the poachers efforts/risk of death to hunt the real thing. It might not completely remove the business, but would surely do something.
    I see a business opportunity!
    Name:  Tiger.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  103.1 KB

ReputationRep:
    It is also largely due to over expansion of human developments and trophy hunting. If the "medicinal" trade died out there are many other activies contributing to rapid decline in their populations.

ReputationRep:
    This won't last as a trophy.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.