Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm a gay girl. How can I meet other gay girls? Watch

Hi! Erm, I think I'm just going to have to put in a bit of background.

I'm 18 years old, just started a gap year.
    I've known that I'm gay for a long time, but only came out to most of my friends and family (well, my sister) over the last year or so.

I would really love to get a girlfriend in the near future. I've never had one before - I've never even kissed a girl. (I've had plenty of crushes, but nothing came of them.) Some of my friends are in relationships now, which makes me sad.

I'm wondering - how can I meet girls? I don't really know anyone who is openly gay. I've had a look for LGBT youth groups but there don't seem to be many in my area. And I'm not going to uni for another year...

Any advice would be amazing!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    When you get to uni, go along to all the freshers LGBT+ events and some of the stuff they organise during the first year (e.g. talks/ debates/ film nights/ club nights/ whatever) as it's a great way to get to know other people
    However, during your gap year it will probably be much harder. If you can't find any local LGBT+ groups, you could possibly consider travelling to one further afield once or twice, or going to visit friends at other unis and meeting people there. See if there are any LGBT+-friendly spaces near you (e.g. clubs, bars, etc.), or try to get in contact with people online (be sensible - don't meet up with strangers you've met online except in public places, talk to them on Skype/ phone beforehand if possible to check they're not some weird paedo guy, etc.).

I didn't 'come out' until uni, but I've found that everyone at uni is very supportive and there is an active LGBT+ scene which is really great. I think you will probably find it hard during your gap year - but don't let that get you down, you'll have plenty of chances to get to know people at uni, and since everyone's in the same boat it's much easier

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.