Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got any effective revision techniques?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Past papers are always your friend, and should form the crux of your revision once you have a grasp on the subject material. To get that grasp, I like to rewrite the best set of notes I have (textbook up until university, then my own notes) in their entirety.

When completing past papers, be sure to mark them and redo anything you get wrong. In order to remember methods or facts, flashcards can be very helpful.

Different techniques work for different people, so experiment and stick with what you find works. And never stick with anything that other people have told you they do, but you don't seem to be getting anywhere with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tory88)
    Past papers are always your friend, and should form the crux of your revision once you have a grasp on the subject material. To get that grasp, I like to rewrite the best set of notes I have (textbook up until university, then my own notes) in their entirety.

When completing past papers, be sure to mark them and redo anything you get wrong. In order to remember methods or facts, flashcards can be very helpful.

Different techniques work for different people, so experiment and stick with what you find works. And never stick with anything that other people have told you they do, but you don't seem to be getting anywhere with.
    I too find writing things out helps me remember and understand, but I'm hoping to go into medicine and I surely wouldn't be able to do that then because of the amount needed to be learnt, what do you think?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daviem)
    I too find writing things out helps me remember and understand, but I'm hoping to go into medicine and I surely wouldn't be able to do that then because of the amount needed to be learnt, what do you think?
    At university I found that it was important to write up my notes at the end of each week, so I had a clean set of notes to revise from. However, I still ended up rewriting them as part of my revision process (for a physics degree).

Provided you manage your time effectively, it shouldn't be an issue, even in medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tory88)
    At university I found that it was important to write up my notes at the end of each week, so I had a clean set of notes to revise from. However, I still ended up rewriting them as part of my revision process (for a physics degree).

Provided you manage your time effectively, it shouldn't be an issue, even in medicine.
    Oh right ok, thanks very much

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.