Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    I'm thinking of applying to open university full time for BSc in Leadership and Management.
    I'm currently a stay at home mum to a 2 1/2 year old. I have a small income of £2000pa from self employment, and therefore depend on my partners income (self employed aswell, profit last year £15k)
    My question is, am i entitled to maintenance grants etc as I'll be an open university student?
    I would love to study full time at a 'physical' university, but with a toddler and childcare being so expensive, have no transport and live approx hour commute to uni its just not possible.
    I know i'm currently not earning much so by studying i'm not losing a wage as such, but if i didn't study, i could take a job so in a way i am losing a wage IYKWIM?
    Thanks in advance
    • Official TSR Representative

    Official TSR Representative

    Open university courses are considered part time, therefore only part time funding is available. This means a loan to help with your course fee, but no additional funding from ourselves. If you ever do attend a full time course, you can apply for grants including a childcare grant from us, whether it's awarded or not would be dependent on your partners income.

Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.