Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    As a prospective Cambridge applicant, I've browsed over some online pages and articles where a lot of current/past students seem to gather and discuss issues related to the university. A couple of examples would be the "Overheard in Cambridge" Facebook page and "The Tab" online university newspaper.

Obviously stereotyping happens with students of all subjects and colleges/universities but I seemed to notice a lot more jokes/comments directed towards mathematics students studying at Trinity (or "Trinity Mathmos"). The general idea behind the stereotyping/jokes being that they were all socially inept/weird/losers - you get the idea.

I kind of get where this is coming from seeing as Trinity attracts a lot of students who competed in mathematical olympiad competitions so they tend not to be your "average" teenager but surely these guys are the minority and not the majority?

Just wanted to get some more perspective on this as it's something I'm taking into consideration before applying. If I were to get in, I wouldn't want to be automatically labelled with the stereotype and stuck with it for three years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ddhurst)
    As a prospective Cambridge applicant, I've browsed over some online pages and articles where a lot of current/past students seem to gather and discuss issues related to the university. A couple of examples would be the "Overheard in Cambridge" Facebook page and "The Tab" online university newspaper.

Obviously stereotyping happens with students of all subjects and colleges/universities but I seemed to notice a lot more jokes/comments directed towards mathematics students studying at Trinity (or "Trinity Mathmos"). The general idea behind the stereotyping/jokes being that they were all socially inept/weird/losers - you get the idea.

I kind of get where this is coming from seeing as Trinity attracts a lot of students who competed in mathematical olympiad competitions so they tend not to be your "average" teenager but surely these guys are the minority and not the majority?

Just wanted to get some more perspective on this as it's something I'm taking into consideration before applying. If I were to get in, I wouldn't want to be automatically labelled with the stereotype and stuck with it for three years.
    I would say 'significant minority' sounds about right. But many are extremely outgoing, social etc, and many more are just totally normal people.

You're going to get stereotyped and get some banter no matter what at Cambridge. Even as a non-Trinity mathmo the most common line I heard when mentioning my subject was 'you don't look/sound/act like a mathmo'. It's just harmless banter, though - people are not idiots, they take you for who you are rather than what your college/subject stereotype is.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.