Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am an A level student looking at applying to a few universities in Scotland.
    Although I would like to apply for "level 2" entry, I think it is alot more likely that I will be entering at "level 1". I understand that this means my coursemates from Scotland will be a year younger than me.

Does anybody have any experience of this?
    Also, if you are a year younger, that would make them 17.
    Surely this must severely affect freshers week :beer:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flux_Dubstep)
    Although I would like to apply for "level 2" entry, I think it is alot more likely that I will be entering at "level 1". I understand that this means my coursemates from Scotland will be a year younger than me.

Scottish universities are basically 4 years.

Level 1 - 4

Think of Level 1 as a foundation year at English universities.

The reason why Scottish unis have it , is because they Scottish students do highers - which is the equivalent of AS levels. Which also means they will be a year younger than you.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

Most Scottish entrants are 18, although in some cases they might turn 18 during first year. There are also some 16 year olds, but as far as I'm aware it's quite rare!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So the majority of people enter at level 2?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fat_hobbit)
    Scottish universities are basically 4 years.

Level 1 - 4

Think of Level 1 as a foundation year at English universities.

The reason why Scottish unis have it , is because they Scottish students do highers - which is the equivalent of AS levels. Which also means they will be a year younger than you.
    Also, most Scottish students (that I know, including myself) that intend to go on to university complete their high school 6 years - which is one extra year after highers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So the majority of people enter at level 2?
    No, most people start at level 1 - first year. Level 2 is second year, level 3 third year and level 4 fourth (honours) year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey. As far as I can understand year 1 is considered to be a "waste" of time. What about professional degrees at glasgow university such as accounting and finance and law? Can students skip the first year of their studies?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yiannisk)
    Hey. As far as I can understand year 1 is considered to be a "waste" of time. What about professional degrees at glasgow university such as accounting and finance and law? Can students skip the first year of their studies?
    You can only skip first year if you have excellent/'extra' qualifications.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vitamin D)
    You can only skip first year if you have excellent/'extra' qualifications.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But does this also count for professional courses?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yiannisk)
    But does this also count for professional courses?
    It counts for most courses. Some such as medicine/dentistry don't offer level 2 entry at all. Here's the page for Glasgow uni regarding advanced entry.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.