Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everybody,
    I am Victor Moussalli, 17 years old, just starting grade 12 of high school. My passion is energy efficiency. The only types of engineering that I like are: environmental, energy, and electrical. I want to know what is the best path to take; university or not, to guarantee a good job later on as many of my older buddies are now struggling to find jobs despite their engineering majors.
    Thank you,
    Victor Moussalli

ReputationRep:
    You'll want to do Electrical and/or Electronic engineering then, or Mechanical. Those types will get you into an energy field just fine. Also, if you are prepared to travel you should have no problem finding a job. Just make sure the degree is accredited (unless Americans are different in terms of first degrees than the UK).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestofyou)
    You'll want to do Electrical and/or Electronic engineering then, or Mechanical. Those types will get you into an energy field just fine. Also, if you are prepared to travel you should have no problem finding a job. Just make sure the degree is accredited (unless Americans are different in terms of first degrees than the UK).
    Thank you for your answer. If I want to absolutely work in energy, shouldn't I do electrical engineering as a major and then minor in energy, rather than majoring only in electrical?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by energypassion9)
    Thank you for your answer. If I want to absolutely work in energy, shouldn't I do electrical engineering as a major and then minor in energy, rather than majoring only in electrical?
    Energy/power systems is usually an option/specialization within electrical engineering that you can choose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihavemooedtoday)
    Energy/power systems is usually an option/specialization within electrical engineering that you can choose.
    Good point,what do you advise me to do;specializing or not?
    Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Good point,what do you advise me to do;specializing or not?
    Thank you.
    You will likely get a job regardless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ahpadt)
    You will likely get a job regardless.
    Does this also apply if a company is hiring for a classic, general electrical engineer job? Wouldn't they prefer the one without an energy minor?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Does this also apply if a company is hiring for a classic, general electrical engineer job? Wouldn't they prefer the one without an energy minor?
    Thanks
    Universities don't work like that.

You get a lot more choices in courses to take when you are in university, and everyone will be specializing in something, officially or not.

When a company is looking for a candidate, they are really just looking for someone who knows the stuff they do, and they don't really care what it says on your piece of paper (as long as you have a EE degree).

ReputationRep:
    Universities don't work like that.

You get a lot more choices in courses to take when you are in university, and everyone will be specializing in something, officially or not.

When a company is looking for a candidate, they are really just looking for someone who knows the stuff they do, and they don't really care what it says on your piece of paper (as long as you have a EE degree).
    Oh okay i got it thanks for your answer you really helped!
    Do you have any advice on how to chose a uni?

ReputationRep:
    What do you guys advise me to do if I wanna work in energy?
    Major in energy
    Major in EE
    Major in ME
    Major in EE,minor in energy
    Major in ME,minor in energy
    Major in ME,minor in EE,specialization energy
    Major in EE,minor in ME,specialization energy
    Major in physics,minor in maths,THEN any of the above.
    None(in this case please suggest for me..)
    Please answer with 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9
    I need an urgent answer because I am lost.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Are you talking about studying in the US? There isn't a major/minor system in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    I'm still not sure where I'm going to study, this depends on the answer of this question..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just major in EE. I have never heard of a major or minor in energy. It's just a specialization at some places.

It doesn't really matter. You are way overthinking this.

ReputationRep:
    Why in EE not in something else,please explain. I need to be sure that this is the best path, I am still getting various opinions..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Why in EE not in something else,please explain. I need to be sure that this is the best path, I am still getting various opinions..

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Because you are interested in electrical energy, and electrical engineering is the study of electrical energy.

ReputationRep:
    Because you are interested in electrical energy, and electrical engineering is the study of electrical energy.
    What if I was interested in both electrical and mechanical?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What if I was interested in both electrical and mechanical?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Several UK uni's have combined elec and mech degrees. Some places call it Mechatronic. At Bath they call it integrated mechanical and eletrical engineering. Its quite popular.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ahpadt)
    Several UK uni's have combined elec and mech degrees. Some places call it Mechatronic. At Bath they call it integrated mechanical and eletrical engineering. Its quite popular.
    Oh yes, I forgot about that, I'm sorry for asking:/
    The problem is that I am still getting mixed advices

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What about dark energy?

ReputationRep:
    Oh yes, I forgot about that, I'm sorry for asking:/
    The problem is that I am still getting mixed advices

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You will get mixed advices for everything in life, from choice of laptop to what to eat for dinner to whether smoking is a good idea or not.

When all advices have been given, it's up to you to evaluate each and make your own decision. No one can help you with that.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.