Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My desktop PC keeps shutting down for no apparant reason. Help? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Iv had my desktop PC since 2006 but Iv been experiencing major problems with it since 2012.

Its not a specific brand, its a load of components assembled by a man my dad knew at work who did all the IT stuff and got the components cheaper through the place my dad worked at.

The issue is that it keep shutting down for no apparent reason. Sometimes it will stay on for a number of hours (11 +), but this is rare, and it usually just randomly turns off after a couple of minutes or even seconds after booting.

I first wondered if it was overheating - there was only one fan on the motherboard, plus one in the power supply, so I added another 3 fans - 1 at the back of the case, 1 at the front and 1 between the sound and video cards. This has done nothing.

Then I found that the motherboard was a bit bent. I replaced it. The problem continues.

Recently I started getting a message saying to check 2 drives for consistency (my hard drive is partitioned into 3) and I now get this every time I boot up, but Iv only been getting this message in the last month - Iv had this problem for 2 years now.

Iv tried asking the man who made it to look at it and he always adds something but then something else is broken, and either way it doesnt fix the powering off problem - Iv given him around £200 in total to fix things and its still messed up.

Does anyone have any ideas about this or how to fix it? Because I have run out!

ReputationRep:
    It might not be hardware related and actually a problem with the installation of the OS. If the PC turns itself off in random patterns (even when idle) it's unlikely to be an overheating issue - if it was you'd find it would pretty much turn itself off soon after booting up the PC (if it were a serious overheating issue, like the heatsink being loose on the CPU, or the fans no longer running - although passive cooling on the CPU won't automatically be an issue) or the PC would turn itself off when you put it under load (e.g. loading up a game, or as soon as you load a 3D application).

You can check your hard-disk for errors - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...isk-for-errors, but this isn't guaranteed to find anything wrong with the HDD (even if the HDD is the issue)

If you've not got anything important on the HDD you could format it and reinstall Windows (if you have the disk) - or alternatively you could get your hands on another HDD, install Windows on it and see if the problem persists with the new installation.

Also, when you say the computer keeps shutting down, does it BSOD or does it just completely lose power?

ReputationRep:
    Are there no messages in Event Viewer from just before the shutdown? Download speedfan to check temps, it tends to BSOD on windows 8 but if your computer is from 2006 that shouldn't affect you. Boot it up with the side off to check that all your fans are spinning. Vacuum it if there's any dust in there. It does sound a lot like an overheating thing.

If none of that works, try removing your RAM chips one at a time, see if it stays on with a particular one missing. One could be damaged. Check the power rating on your PSU, because it might be unable to supply enough power. Plug the computer into its own socket rather than an extension cable.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clez)
    Recently I started getting a message saying to check 2 drives for consistency (my hard drive is partitioned into 3) and I now get this every time I boot up, but Iv only been getting this message in the last month - Iv had this problem for 2 years now.
    For this specific issue, it sounds like your HDD has reached the end of its useful life, but if it's been in there since 2006 that's a pretty good run.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    For this specific issue, it sounds like your HDD has reached the end of its useful life, but if it's been in there since 2006 that's a pretty good run.
    You could check by removing the HDD and booting from a DVD. OP, you do seem to have a habit (just from this thread) of attempting to solve problems by throwing money at them. Don't buy a new HDD until you've got evidence that it's what's causing the problem. CHKDSK running is not evidence that the HDD is broken.

ReputationRep:
    You could boot from a Live USB (try Puppy Linux or something really small that will take seconds to download and burn) this won't shut down because it won't use the HDD (if it is the HDD) if it still shuts down it will determine that it is hardware related.

ReputationRep:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIZPEXHjzOA

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 30, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.