Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Subject wise, do primary school teachers teach a bit of everything?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, they normally do.

Do you not remember primary school?

ReputationRep:
    I had different teachers for different subjects in primary school. But I think primary school teachers are supposed to be able to teach all subjects to a basic level at least.

ReputationRep:
    When I was leaving primary school they were trying to make it just english and maths (which is the most stupid idea...). Now I hear they are training them in earth science (in northern ireland). I think there is a move to get foreign languages taught in schools. So overall I think subject diversity at this level is increasing.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, Primary teachers normally would be expected to teach a bit of every National Curriculum subject.

However, different schools organise the timetable in different ways, so you might not have to teach absolutely everything.

For example, you might have your PPA (free time for planning, preparation and assessment) when your class have their PE lessons so an instructor from an external organisation would come in and teach them for that afternoon.

Or your school might organise things so that in your year group, one teacher is good at Music and teaches music to all of the classes, whilst another is better at French so they teach French to all of the classes.

But basically you need to assume you will have to teach everything, and then see what happens.

A huge proportion of time in Primary is devoted to Literacy/English and Numeracy/Maths with a lot of the rest of it lumped together as "Topic" in the afternoons. So this might be History/Geography/RE combined with a bit of Art to produce a project related to the area studied. Science is obviously a key subject but doesn't get as much time as Maths and English. Modern Foreign Languages are compulsory in KS2 (so from Year 3 upwards) as of September 2014 but most schools have some kind of languages provision already, it's just highly variable.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.