Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Old fat PS3 keeps shutting down online, what's happening Watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay so first of all it take atleast 30 minutes to start it up
    Then when I'm playing fifa online it doesnt freeze, but if i leave it on the menu of fifa and shuts down.
    When I play COD, it always shuts down during one game and it's bugging me, it's becoming more and more, i've had this issue for around about 2 months

whats going on?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    The title would say to me that it's just knackered, how old exactly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zeroic)
    Okay so first of all it take atleast 30 minutes to start it up
    Then when I'm playing fifa online it doesnt freeze, but if i leave it on the menu of fifa and shuts down.
    When I play COD, it always shuts down during one game and it's bugging me, it's becoming more and more, i've had this issue for around about 2 months

whats going on?
    Firstly given that it's a PS3 there's not much that you can really do, however I would recommend restoring the PS3 to factory defaults, and try avoid using the same save.

If you'd like alternative suggestions then I wouldn't mind taking you through the PS3 troubleshooting process.

When you say shuts down, I presume you mean, turns itself off?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Binary Freak)
    Firstly given that it's a PS3 there's not much that you can really do, however I would recommend restoring the PS3 to factory defaults, and try avoid using the same save.

If you'd like alternative suggestions then I wouldn't mind taking you through the PS3 troubleshooting process.

When you say shuts down, I presume you mean, turns itself off?
    yeah

ReputationRep:
    yeah
    Okay the first thing I'd like for you to do.

Is switch on your PS3, once this is done, I'd like you to boot up FIFA, in order to produce this shut down, while that's occurring I'd like you to pay special attention to the LEDs on your PS.

Once the system shut down happens I'd like for you to tell me the state of the LED.

ReputationRep:
    Okay the first thing I'd like for you to do.

Is switch on your PS3, once this is done, I'd like you to boot up FIFA, in order to produce this shut down, while that's occurring I'd like you to pay special attention to the LEDs on your PS.

Once the system shut down happens I'd like for you to tell me the state of the LED.
    you mean the green bar?

ReputationRep:
    you mean the green bar?
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    Yes
    okay it just goes black, it doesnt turn red for me

ReputationRep:
    okay it just goes black, it doesnt turn red for me
    Doesn't even flash red prior to the system shutting down?

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't even flash red prior to the system shutting down?
    no

ReputationRep:
    no
    Okay well that rules out overheating and possibly component failure.

Now, I'd like you to turn off your PS3, then once it's turned off, hold down the power button until the PS3 turns on then turns off again. You shouldn't see anything on the screen, you should just hear beeps. Now turn it back on regularly.

If done correctly this'll give you some options. One of them should be to "Restore File System". I'd like you to select that and give it a try.

ReputationRep:
    Okay well that rules out overheating and possibly component failure.

Now, I'd like you to turn off your PS3, then once it's turned off, hold down the power button until the PS3 turns on then turns off again. You shouldn't see anything on the screen, you should just hear beeps. Now turn it back on regularly.

If done correctly this'll give you some options. One of them should be to "Restore File System". I'd like you to select that and give it a try.
    thanks for this man, is it cool if we do this tommorow, i turned my ps3 off and now it's gonna take around 40 minutes to load it again.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for this man, is it cool if we do this tommorow, i turned my ps3 off and now it's gonna take around 40 minutes to load it again.
    Yeah that's fine, even though I believe this might not follow the traditional booting. I think it's the equivalent of safe mode.

Just quote me tomorrow and I'll be happy to help once I've done my morning studies.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that's fine, even though I believe this might not follow the traditional booting. I think it's the equivalent of safe mode.

Just quote me tomorrow and I'll be happy to help once I've done my morning studies.
    thanks man
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

Im afraid this may be the end of your ps3 If it is acting like this when it is old, it may be that its just knackered

ReputationRep:

my ps3 refuses to go into safe mode

ReputationRep:
    my ps3 refuses to go into safe mode
    What does it do.. This is new

ReputationRep:
    What does it do.. This is new
    Just turns off tbf i tried for two hours to get into safe mode nows it ****ed man

ReputationRep:
    Just turns off tbf i tried for two hours to get into safe mode nows it ****ed man
    Hmm, I'd recommend posting this on the PS forums.. Safemode is always meant to work unless your PS is/was on the way to being bricked.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I'd recommend posting this on the PS forums.. Safemode is always meant to work unless your PS is/was on the way to being bricked.
    Alright cheers man you been a good help

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.