Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should i do bodyweight exercises for a year before lifting at a gym Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am 17, weigh 53.5kg and am 172.5cm approx. I want to gain strength and i was wondering if it is a good idea if i should do bodyweight exercises such as pressups, pull ups, dips and squats for a year before lifting weights to get stronger.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No. Go to the gym now.

/thread

ReputationRep:
    Agreed. /thread

ReputationRep:
    You don't need to be a gym junkie to be strong and fit. Find or create a good home schedule using bodywieght excersises and build a good strong foundation. Plus its free too!

If you want to be a ripped bodybuilder in quick time then yeah I guess, go gym

ReputationRep:
    thread should've /threaded at /thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amood00)
    If you want to be a ripped bodybuilder
    Or have full body strength rather than just being able to do loads of pullups.

ReputationRep:
    Body weight exercises will build you mainly strength and some size. Going to the gym will mainly build muscle mass and help you bulk up if correct exercises are being done e.g. compound exercises.

ReputationRep:
    Go to the gym and make eating food your new part time job.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.