Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    yo
    im 18 years old and im 5'7
    i havent grown at all for the past 2 years
    my friends tell me that i messed up 3 years ago, when i lost some weight because i was overweight, and apparently that caused me to stop growing. is there any truth to that ?
    plus for around 3 years now, i have been sleeping on a sofa most of the time, does this affect anything?
    all i want to know is that is there a chance i grow a couple for inches ? if so, what can i do to maximise the chances of that happening, i,e eating healthy (which i dont most of the time), drinking milk, etc etc.
    currently, i intend on joining gym and losing some weight, as i have gained some pounds, and also intend to build some muscle. but i heard that doing weights is bad at this age, as it prevents growth?

i know i sound lost and all, but i just need some good clarifiication wheter or not i can still grow, and how i can maximise my chances to

thanks everyone

ReputationRep:
    What gender are you?

ReputationRep:
    Nope. Growth is linear but once it levels off, it levels off completely (when puberty is complete). Sorry but that's the truth.You could have leg lengthening surgery but if you value walking, don't do it bro. 5'7 is really not THAT short, I was that height a year back and felt average. Now at 5'9, I feel even more average but not noticeably taller. It's not a big deal

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1406505166.865109.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  21.9 KB this is a growth graph by the way.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There's no truth to what your friends said. You were always destined, like me, to be a short arse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tnfr123)
    yo
    im 18 years old and im 5'7
    i havent grown at all for the past 2 years
    my friends tell me that i messed up 3 years ago, when i lost some weight because i was overweight, and apparently that caused me to stop growing. is there any truth to that ?
    plus for around 3 years now, i have been sleeping on a sofa most of the time, does this affect anything?
    all i want to know is that is there a chance i grow a couple for inches ? if so, what can i do to maximise the chances of that happening, i,e eating healthy (which i dont most of the time), drinking milk, etc etc.
    currently, i intend on joining gym and losing some weight, as i have gained some pounds, and also intend to build some muscle. but i heard that doing weights is bad at this age, as it prevents growth?

i know i sound lost and all, but i just need some good clarifiication wheter or not i can still grow, and how i can maximise my chances to

thanks everyone

Doubt there is anything in that mate. The research suggests that human children, like all young animals, stop growing during lean times when nutrition is scarce like war and famine but growth quickly accelerates, if and when, the nutrition sources open up again and they fulfill their full height. Obviously if your nutrition has been poor for a extensive period and still is poor as you reach adulthood and growth plates close than yes, your height is reduced.

Also doing weights does not harm growth. That is outdated. Being inactive and eating unhealthily is much more likely to stunt growth.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.