Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Approaching someone on instagram Watch

Hi

So there's someone who I've noticed on Instagram by randomly browsing through comments made on photos of people I know and follow. His Instagram is public and looking through it, he seems like a really interesting guy.
    He is a friend of my cousin's but we haven't seen each other in many many years and I doubt he knows who I am!
    Is it acceptable to approach someone on Instagram in a "would be nice to get to know you" sort of way?
    I only ask because on the surface of it he seems like the kind of guy I would approach in real life but I hardly ever meet these guys due mainly to where I go to uni.
    My biggest concern is that he isn't a complete stranger as he knows my cousin really well so this could backfire in a bad way!
    Thanks x

ReputationRep:
    Comment under his pic 'you got kik?'

lol jk. Dont do that. Just follow him, he'll follow back and then you'll like each others pics etc etc comment. Just don't think too much of it, its not that deep. You're not a complete stranger so that's a +.

ReputationRep:
    Insta DM him

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well my friend got with someone through instagram but she's a bit of a... and admits to it.
    I don't advise it though, but maybe follow him and see how it goes?

(Original post by Anonymous)
    x

Hahaha- yep don't worry I won't comment "you got kik?"
    Thanks for the advice guys, guess I'll just click follow and see what happens

ReputationRep:
    you can try to comment some of his photos " looks great" or others compliment. if he replied, maybe you can said long time no see? see if he remember you?

ReputationRep:
    How did it go?

Hi I promise to let you know! By some coincidence I might actually see him in person at a party I'm going to next week. If I don't though, I will let you know what happens when I use the Instagram tactic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi I promise to let you know! By some coincidence I might actually see him in person at a party I'm going to next week. If I don't though, I will let you know what happens when I use the Instagram tactic
    So he didn't follow you back :lol: ??

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 30, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.