Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Premature White Hair? HELP! Watch

Hi, so I'm 16 about to be 17 and over the past year or so I've started to get white hairs on my head. First it was just a couple but currently there is about 8 or 9 visible big grey/white hairs just at the front of my head. One of my brothers also has this but not as bad and one brother doesn't.

I know it's not down to stress because I'm not stressed at all really so it can't be that. My hair is also very thick naturally if that makes a difference.

Why is my hair graying so prematurely? It's starting to annoy me how many people comment on it all the time and make fun of it. When I speak to strangers, I can tell that they're not even looking at me, they keep looking at my hair.

Is there any permanent fix for this apart from dye, as I cut my hair quite often and it's annoying having to keep dying it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi, so I'm 16 about to be 17 and over the past year or so I've started to get white hairs on my head. First it was just a couple but currently there is about 8 or 9 visible big grey/white hairs just at the front of my head. One of my brothers also has this but not as bad and one brother doesn't.

I know it's not down to stress because I'm not stressed at all really so it can't be that. My hair is also very thick naturally if that makes a difference.

Why is my hair graying so prematurely? It's starting to annoy me how many people comment on it all the time and make fun of it. When I speak to strangers, I can tell that they're not even looking at me, they keep looking at my hair.

Is there any permanent fix for this apart from dye, as I cut my hair quite often and it's annoying having to keep dying it.
    Maybe it's in your genes?

ReputationRep:
    Hi I have that as well, since I was about 12/13, I'm 21 now. Its is very annoying cause you are very aware of it:/ Having thick dark brown hair just makes them stand out even more haha I've never dyed my hair but I will be very soon. So far never heard of how it happens or what to do about it:/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My little sister started greying at age 7/8ish and by age 10 she had around 100 white hairs which was alarming for the family so we consulted the Dr and she was told to just dye it as there is no cure for premature whitness. She's now 16 and had to dye her but judging by her roots when they appear I'd say more than half her hair has turned white.

her hair is very thick and dense and colouring it regularly is a nuisance but she isn't too much bothered.

I'm not sure, it is probably genetic to be honest. Just wish there was something I could do about it instead of having to explain to everyone that I'm not 50.

ReputationRep:
    It is genetic. I got my first white hair at 19, but I know others younger. Unfortunately for me, my mother was entirely grey at 15 and my grandfather on my fathers side was "snow white" by the age of 21! Like you, I guess I'm just rather unlucky. Do look on the bright side though, at least you're not losing your hair!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.