Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ive been having this issue for nearly 2 years now, I find it really hard to fall asleep at night, sometimes I can be up until 6/7 in the morning or even later. Once I manage to fall asleep it tends to last for 12 hours without and disruptions.

Im not under stress or constantly worried about anything. But I just find falling asleep really hard. Does anyone else have this issue or know what I should do?

(perhaps anything but 'doctor' for an answer)

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I use to have the same problem at night with falling asleep. I was able to overcome this by reducing my nightly activities and eating. I never really ate after 8pm and tried to stop watching tv or sitting on my computer at least an hour before I went to bed. This allowed my brain to relax and stop constantly bouncing back and forth from idea to idea.
    Another idea I found that worked as weird as it sounds, is I would tell myself what time I wanted to wake up in the morning over and over. This was pretty much the same thing as counting sheep.

Hope this is able to help!
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Usually getting into a healthy routine will allow you to sleep better. As this is a recurring problem I wouldn't recommend sleep aiding pills such as Nytol as these become less effective over time and don't get to the root of the problem. The first thing doctors generally suggest is reviewing your sleep hygiene. This site has a pretty helpful guide:
    http://sleepfoundation.org/ask-the-expert/sleep-hygiene

ReputationRep:
    Its due to the stress feeling so you are not able to sleep try some yoga exercise.

ReputationRep:
    Look up "Delayed sleep phase disorder". It doesn't sound like you have insomnia, since you are able to sleep, but it is likely that you have bad sleep hygiene. I can recommend more reading if you need.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 2, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.