The Student Room Group

UKCAT Score Needed for Dentistry

Hi everyone!

I'm a Scottish applicant, and thinking of applying to Glasgow, Dundee, Newcastle and KCL.

I have eight 1s in my Standard Grades and will hopefully get five As in my Highers, but we'll just have to wait until the 5th of August to find if I do!

My UKCAT scores are fluctuating a lot in practice tests:

In my diagnostic test, I got 670 for VR, 770 for QR, 600 for DA, 570 for AR, so 653 overall with a band 2 in SJ.

I worked through the Kaplan BOOK and just sat the mock test and got a 613, which I'm so disappointed with. I did the online test A and found the QR and AR really difficult and got a similar bad score.

For VR, my highest has been 670 and lowest 600.
For QR, my highest has been 800 and lowest 470 (!)
For DA, my highest has been 750 and lowest 500
For AR, my highest has been 570 and lowest 550.

Most of the high scores have been earlier on in my revision.

My question is, what minimum score would I need to get interviews for my desired choices? I know the universities I have mentioned use the UKCAT a lot in their admissions processes. I don't really want to apply elsewhere as these places have achievable academic conditions whereas other dental schools ask for grades that I would have a hard time getting.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
over 9000
Reply 2
on a serious note, you would roughly need about 700+ to be competitive. Especially for those universities. Aim for 850+ (you know as in aim for the stars, to get to the moon kind of thing).

Also remember the UKCAT is not the be all and end all. Don't neglect work experience, PS etc.
Original post by amood00
on a serious note, you would roughly need about 700+ to be competitive. Especially for those universities. Aim for 850+ (you know as in aim for the stars, to get to the moon kind of thing).

Also remember the UKCAT is not the be all and end all. Don't neglect work experience, PS etc.

I know KCL and Newcastle want high UKCATS, like you said 700+

What would places like Manchester and Sheffield be after? I scored 610, hoping that will be enough. Leeds and Liverpool don't require the UKCAT, they are the other places I am applying to.

Thanks
Original post by amood00

There's no way I could aim for 850+! The best I could get would probably be the backside of 700, like 698, but at the moment, it's looking like I could get something like 660.

I'm confident I can write a good PS (writing is my forte) and I have tonnes of work experience - four years per week for a year in a dental practice, a day in a dental lab and a couple of more weeks of dental work experience are on the way. I also volunteer in a hospital every week and have appropriate extra-curriculars like first aid to compliment my application, along with other, non-related interests to show I have a life outside of preparing for UCAS :tongue:

Are you aware of the UKCAT that Glasgow or Dundee would want? 700+ again?
Reply 5
610 just won't cut it sorry. Its not impossible but close enough. Unless maybe look at access courses?
Original post by Dentist95
I know KCL and Newcastle want high UKCATS, like you said 700+

What would places like Manchester and Sheffield be after? I scored 610, hoping that will be enough. Leeds and Liverpool don't require the UKCAT, they are the other places I am applying to.

Thanks

Hi, just pointing out to you that although Leeds do not want the UKCAT for dentistry they are asking for the BMAT for this applications cycle :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
I took my UKCAT this week to get it out of the way early and it is a true god-send! I have never honestly been more stressed about one exam!!! I'm sure that if you are just working through the KAPLAN book that is highly sufficient. I did the same and also worked through UKCAT For Dummies. The best way I found to improve my SJT score was to read through good medical practice:

http://www.gmc-uk.org/guidance/good_medical_practice.asp

Also, just work hard. Not necessarily for the UKCAT. You find that it tests skills that you should use in everyday life, maths etc. Practice up KS3 mental maths (Its seriously helps!). Try to make QR a bit more instinctive. You don't need to work it all out properly, take a few instinctive guesses, approximate and it will be okay. They might give you complex numbers but you can round it to an extent and it still works. The calculator onscreen is awful (make sure num lock is correct and then you can type on the keyboard for it!) For VR read lots... Newspapers, classical literature, cookery books but try to understand what you read. I do a lot of creative writing and adapting so I practice a lot of generalising and getting the gist. But most of all, have fun! I realise now that it was something really exciting to do (this makes me sound very boring) but if you try and enjoy yourself it removes your stress. Take lots of time to think where you could be to motivate you. It is meant to be hard... Dentistry is not a job that anyone can simply get into :smile:

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by amood00
610 just won't cut it sorry. Its not impossible but close enough. Unless maybe look at access courses?

Im amazed you say that. I believe 'officially' there was no cut off point at Manchester last year for Dentistry, although most applicants had a score of 600+. As well as this Sheffield had a cut off of 600. So I think I would still have a chance with 610, it is after all just one part of the application.

Also, Leeds do require the BMAT this year for dentistry, but it is only a trial so won't negatively effect your application.
The only one I would wonder about is Newcastle, who use the UKCAT score to rank applicants and then select the top 300 scoring applicants to have their personal statements read (selection for interview etc. follows). The cut-off at the bottom of this bracket was around 680 points as far as I can remember from the June open day.
Original post by medicate08
The only one I would wonder about is Newcastle, who use the UKCAT score to rank applicants and then select the top 300 scoring applicants to have their personal statements read (selection for interview etc. follows). The cut-off at the bottom of this bracket was around 680 points as far as I can remember from the June open day.

Glasgow selects the top 200 scoring applicants to invite for interview as well :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Im amazed you say that. I believe 'officially' there was no cut off point at Manchester last year for Dentistry, although most applicants had a score of 600+. As well as this Sheffield had a cut off of 600. So I think I would still have a chance with 610, it is after all just one part of the application.

Also, Leeds do require the BMAT this year for dentistry, but it is only a trial so won't negatively effect your application.

He's right; they're too heavy on the UKCAT to consider someone with 610. I would apply to two universities that aren't that bothered about the UKCAT and two that don't use it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AspiringMedic8
Hi everyone!

I'm a Scottish applicant, and thinking of applying to Glasgow, Dundee, Newcastle and KCL.

I have eight 1s in my Standard Grades and will hopefully get five As in my Highers, but we'll just have to wait until the 5th of August to find if I do!

My UKCAT scores are fluctuating a lot in practice tests:

In my diagnostic test, I got 670 for VR, 770 for QR, 600 for DA, 570 for AR, so 653 overall with a band 2 in SJ.

I worked through the Kaplan BOOK and just sat the mock test and got a 613, which I'm so disappointed with. I did the online test A and found the QR and AR really difficult and got a similar bad score.

For VR, my highest has been 670 and lowest 600.
For QR, my highest has been 800 and lowest 470 (!)
For DA, my highest has been 750 and lowest 500
For AR, my highest has been 570 and lowest 550.

Most of the high scores have been earlier on in my revision.

My question is, what minimum score would I need to get interviews for my desired choices? I know the universities I have mentioned use the UKCAT a lot in their admissions processes. I don't really want to apply elsewhere as these places have achievable academic conditions whereas other dental schools ask for grades that I would have a hard time getting.

I scored 600 an hour or two before going to my UKCAT test on a mock test and got 735 in the real thing. Take that however you want but remember, in the real test, you'll be focused way more and the adrenaline and chemicals flowing through your bloodstream should make you alert like a soldier :smile: don't worry, what happens, happens. Just try your best and pace yourself with your time

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Reptilian
I scored 600 an hour or two before going to my UKCAT test on a mock test and got 735 in the real thing. Take that however you want but remember, in the real test, you'll be focused way more and the adrenaline and chemicals flowing through your bloodstream should make you alert like a soldier :smile: don't worry, what happens, happens. Just try your best and pace yourself with your time

Posted from TSR Mobile

^ This is the best advice! Thanks :biggrin:

I'm planning to do a lot of work on Abstract Reasoning and just keep a steady pace on the others. You're so right - what happens, happens. I think a lot will just depend on the day.

Congratulations on the amazing score, though! Are you applying for dentistry or medicine and at what universities? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
He's right; they're too heavy on the UKCAT to consider someone with 610. I would apply to two universities that aren't that bothered about the UKCAT and two that don't use it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I'm applying to manchester, Liverpool, Leeds and Sheffield.

so 2 of them don't use it, 1 doesn't put too much emphasis on it, and Sheffield do but official have a cut off at 600....

i agree agree that the one OP mentioned are UKCAT heavy, but my choices certainly aren't :smile:
600 is considered a low score.

so 2 of them don't use it, 1 doesn't put too much emphasis on it, and Sheffield do but official have a cut off at 600....

i agree agree that the one OP mentioned are UKCAT heavy, but my choices certainly aren't :smile:

Do Sheffield actually have a cut off of 600? That gives me hope! :smile:
Original post by amood00

I just read that KCL only interview the upper quartile of UKCAT applicants. What would this roughly be? Someone told me that the average applicant this year will have a score of around 675.

Just found that Sheffield's cut off was 650, Newcastle's cut off was 695, KCL advise an applicant to have a score of 730 or above, Dundee's average accepted student got 680, don't know about Glasgow.

It's fair to say KCL looks off the cards for me :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
^ This is the best advice! Thanks :biggrin:

I'm planning to do a lot of work on Abstract Reasoning and just keep a steady pace on the others. You're so right - what happens, happens. I think a lot will just depend on the day.

Congratulations on the amazing score, though! Are you applying for dentistry or medicine and at what universities? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Medicine :smile: I have two offers, now I'm just waiting for my A2 results to see if I'm in. Birmingham and HYMS by the way. I applied to 2 universities that I preferred and 2 where I was most likely to get into regardless of preference. In the end I got one offer from one of the respectable ones (IMO Bham) and one from the 'easier to get into' ones. Remember, you cannot really afford to be too selective with Med/Dent and the uni you go to doesn't affect your job prospects much. Just try your best to get an offer. Good luck and you're welcome :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest