Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I want to be a writer, but I'm not sure what major/uni I should apply to? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've always wanna become a writer/filmmaker/screenwriter however I'm not sure if I should take English/Creative writing/filmmaking bachelor degrees because most people say it's not worth it and I'd graduate jobless. Moreover I'm doing English SL (IB) now so I'm not qualified to study English in any big unis. Anyway, I'm kinda interested in Psychology/ Journalism, do you think I could still be a writer after I got those degrees? I know media/film industry is mostly based on connections, so do I just join those writing clubs and get connected? That quetsion sounds so naive but I really don't know haha

Well another option is to take that university movie and invest in my own film. See if it works but it sounds all too risky. I've been looking at unis and speaking of psychology I'm most intersted in attending Cambridge/Oxford/UCL/LSE (duh)

My grades are :
    English SL 6
    ESS SL 7
    Maths SL 6/7
    Film HL 6/7
    Psychology HL 7
    Chinese B HL 7

I do tennis,football, squash and a bit of bball on the side, voluntary services twice a month and a lot of editor/pubslihing/wriitng stuff on the side. I'm also the founder of a school magazine so do you think I have a chance getting in those? Not sure if it's the best plan for me but could try. Tell me what you think.

On the sidenote, if you're interested, check out my fb page haha
    https://www.facebook.com/ohcrapmagazine

ReputationRep:
    You really do not have to do a University course to learn how to write for the screen. An evening course maybe, or just get a few good books.

The only way to learn how to write is:

1. Watch TV and film and pay attention to the writing.
    2. Write stuff.

The second of these is the most important - the best way to learn how to write is to write.

Do a degree by all means but don't do one simply so you can further your career aspirations in that field. The cost of the degree means it simply won't be worth it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.