Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished a year at uni but after not enjoying my course I applied to change it so am meant to be starting law in September. I chose law because I did a year of it at A-level and really enjoyed it.

Thing is, I feel like im only at uni cause I don't know what else to do and am doing a degree for the sake of it. I feel like maybe I should drop out and re-group, decide what I actually want and then take it from there. But im so confused! I want to make the right decision but its really hard.

My question is what does getting a degree actually mean nowadays? Does it make a lot of difference to your job prospects? is there any point if I have no Idea what I want to do with it when I leave uni?

ReputationRep:
    It will make as much difference to your job prospects as you allow it to.

You have to apply for relevant jobs and make your application communicate to the employer why your degree was worth while and why it will make you perfect for their job. Many people are just like "so, this is my degree and I'd like this job because I've always been really good at maths".

A degree is more or less essential for some careers. Like law and medicine.

With regards to what you should do: Answer this question to yourself right now, do you think you will enjoy/be interested in a career in law? Don't screw around with "I don't know" or "it depends". Take your time and answer the question, if the answer is yes then take the place. If the answer is no, decline it. Degree are expensive and they are worth it if you are genuine about your subject, motivated for a career in it and truly enjoy it to at least some degree. Sound like the way you feel about law?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I really do want a career in law that's the thing. I defo dont want to be some high flying lawyer or solicitor or something. I just dont know that I have the motivation, feel like it will be arrepeat of last year when I didn't do a lot

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.