Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Jon Snow back from Gaza - The future of news reporting? Watch

• TSR Community Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:

I've always been inspired by Jon Snow but my respect for him now is through the roof, all the way to the moon and back. It's honest and heart felt reporting.

Should we have more of this? What happens next? When you watched it how did you feel?

This thread isn't to debate the conflict but to discuss this type of journalism.

Looking forward to hearing what you all think.

ReputationRep:
    Inspired by a pro-palestinian propagandist who long dropped any pretence of impartiality?

Surely journalists should remain neutral?

And just how many times is that odious man going to post pictures of injured/dead Syrian kids and try to pass them off as palestinians?

He's been found out.

Go back 4 years and he was lauding Assad at a fund raising campaign for Gaza.

The guy is a cretin.

ReputationRep:
    He knows nothing.

ReputationRep:
    My opinion:

• TSR Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    "you know nothing john snow" - so much Argumentum ad Hominem.

Nothing to refute what he mentioned in the video and in his reports, but resorting to just personally attacking him is a sign of a weak debater.

He is a brilliant news reporter, I may not always agree with him, but I have a huge amount of respect for him, and he is a leading journalist and always keeps viewers' attention on serious matters.

It is a remarkable report, as the psychological and physical effect it is having on children/civilians is often forgotten.

I hope he continues to make similar videos.

ReputationRep:
    Jeremy Paxman > John snow

ReputationRep:
    He was so biased in favour of Palestine, I have no idea how people can claim the media is Zionist or Zionist-influenced

Just some old git tying to make a name for himself really

ReputationRep:
    He is a very good journalist and I used to have a great deal of respect for him. Then I saw the interview he did with Russel Brand last year I think when he acted like a petulant little twerp who would struggle to convince the Daily Mail of his quality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by She-Ra)

I've always been inspired by Jon Snow but my respect for him now is through the roof, all the way to the moon and back. It's honest and heart felt reporting.

Should we have more of this? What happens next? When you watched it how did you feel?

This thread isn't to debate the conflict but to discuss this type of journalism.

type of journalism ? lots of journalists went to gaza and reported on it.
    • TSR Community Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by democracyforum)
    type of journalism ? lots of journalists went to gaza and reported on it.
    Agreed - I mean in terms of creating a video piece like this as opposed to writing. It's now doing the rounds on FB.

I think it should have come directly from him though and not via the Channel 4 studio.

(Original post by getfunky!)

Nothing to refute what he mentioned in the video and in his reports, but resorting to just personally attacking him is a sign of a weak debater.

He is a brilliant news reporter, I may not always agree with him, but I have a huge amount of respect for him, and he is a leading journalist and always keeps viewers' attention on serious matters.

It is a remarkable report, as the psychological and physical effect it is having on children/civilians is often forgotten.

Chill out, its just a GoT Joke, I was going to make the same statement without even reading the OP.
      Acquire some lulz.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Zen Baphomet)
      Chill out, its just a GoT Joke, I was going to make the same statement without even reading the OP.
      Acquire some lulz.
      This... it's even in a gif to make it obvious I wasn't being too serious :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by getfunky!)

Here we have a perfect case of "sense of humor failure".

You must be fun at parties.

ReputationRep:

I feel his principles regarding this conflict are correct. First and foremost the killing needs to stop and this is largely the responsibility of Israel but by no means solely theirs. Then an investigation into both parties needs to take place. I do however think some of his reporting has been a little limited in terms of balanced coverage of Hamas' culpability with dismissive terms such as "a few petty rockets which are intercepted anyway" from another report. When in reality it's thousands of rockets.

Israel need reigning in but Hamas could end it by agreeing to mediated treaties they've chosen to decline.

The death toll is on Israel but the longevity of the conflict is 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.

Edit: if you enjoyed Jon Snows report from Gaza check out the VICE news dispatch reports on this issue on YouTube. Very informative, very revealing and very balanced.

ReputationRep:

I'm all for this type of journalism. I definitely think that we should have more of this. It really helps to get an idea of the what people are going through around the world and gives us an insight into their mentality and hence we are able to understand their motivations and humanise them.

There is this mentality that anyone who doesn't agree with our views or actions must be no good and we tend to think of them as being the 'others'. This makes it easy for us to dehumanise them. We don't identify with them so it's easy to marginalise them.

With regards to the Israel/Palestine conflict, I think that this will really help people see that the wounded/dead are not just a number. These are real people with feelings,families,hopes etc.. and maybe,just maybe (okay I'm being extremely and unrealisticaly optimistic here) motivate people to end this violent conflict.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.