Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ethnic university rush: Black, Asian and Chinese pupils more likely to apply than whi Watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...her-peers.html

White teenagers are the least likely group to apply to university after being overtaken by black pupils, figures revealed yesterday.
    Rising numbers from all ethnic groups are setting their sights on a degree but white teenagers are less likely to apply than black, Asian or Chinese pupils.
    The statistics also show that pupils on free school meals due to family poverty are half as likely to seek a place as their more privileged peers. Just one in seven schoolboys on free meals is aiming for university.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a load of nonsense to me. In my University it was around 85% white.

University isn't the only outlet either. I have White friends who never went University and have great careers in Sales & I.T.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much a non-story TBH, the free school meals thing isn't even news. Basically just a reminder that widening participation schemes exist for a reason, and the universities' continual drive to attract students from under-represented backgrounds needs to continue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CryptoidAlien)
    Sounds like a load of nonsense to me. In my University it was around 85% white.

University isn't the only outlet either. I have White friends who never went University and have great careers in Sales & I.T.

B.S In engineering and medicine there are nearly no whites, they prefer useless subjects such as 'sociology -art etc...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Batchosama)
    B.S In engineering and medicine there are nearly no whites, they prefer useless subjects such as 'sociology -art etc...)
    Source please ?

ReputationRep:
    Looks like you have never seen my Uni. We have about a 98% white population and the engineers are somewhere close to 100% white.

ReputationRep:
    31% of white teenagers applying will still vastly outnumber the sixty odd percent of Black, Asian etc pupils applying because Britain is a white majority country.

It's a complete non story.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It was probably referring to universities in London.

But the hysterical commenters were predictable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colour Me Pretty)
    31% of white teenagers applying will still vastly outnumber the sixty odd percent of Black, Asian etc pupils applying because Britain is a white majority country.

It's a complete non story.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But it means that ethnic minorities will now be over-represented in universities. When whites are over-represented in a particular area it's an issue:

http://www.theguardian.com/media/200...s.theobserver1

http://www.theguardian.com/law/2014/...erse-judiciary

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-...-in-british-tv

Following on from that logic, we should impose quotas to ensure sufficient white people go to university so as to be representative of the population.

Or alternatively, we could scrap the ridiculous idea of quotas altogether and employ people based on their ability and not their skin colour.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...her-peers.html

White teenagers are the least likely group to apply to university after being overtaken by black pupils, figures revealed yesterday.
    Rising numbers from all ethnic groups are setting their sights on a degree but white teenagers are less likely to apply than black, Asian or Chinese pupils.
    The statistics also show that pupils on free school meals due to family poverty are half as likely to seek a place as their more privileged peers. Just one in seven schoolboys on free meals is aiming for university.
    But the use of "over-taken" though :laugh: WHy so threatened? One minute people complain that they don't like minorities because they are ignorant and this and that and ruining the country, then they complain when they get educations :awesome:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.