Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hiya,
    i just wanted to know if anyone has it - did it hurt?
    or is the pill a better alternative option?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Whether it's a better option is going to depend on how you rate various things.

The implant is staggeringly reliable, and you just need to have it replaced every couple of years. But it involves something being put in your arm, and you will be able to touch the skin above it and feel that it is there. Some women like that, some women don't.

The pill is very reliable, but you need to take it every day (or on 21 out of 28 days). If you forget one or vomit not long after taking one, it can stop protecting you against pregnancy. Two main varieties exist, and you may get on better with one rather than the other - it's swings and roundabouts time choosing between them, and it's only you who can make that choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hiya,
    i just wanted to know if anyone has it - did it hurt?
    or is the pill a better alternative option?
    I was on the pill and decided to change to the implant, I had the implant for about 8 months and ended up going back to the pill! I got the it purely for the ease of not needing to remember a pill everyday and being in the hope that it stopped my periods altogether... Having it put in wasn't a problem, your arm is numbed first so you can't feel a thing The first few months were great, no periods, no weight gain or mood swings etc, but then I started spotting continuously, which was making me feel really down, I started getting spots (my skin isn't that great anyway, but it was getting to the point where I had at least 4 or 5 spots and lots of pimples on my face ) and put on weight. So I changed back to the pill, mainly so I could be in control of my periods ie when I had one and when I didn't. Since then I've lost the weight I put on and my skin has cleared up!
    Everybody is different though, so give it a try, you could always take it out if you don't get on with it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 30, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.