Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do people dislike Windows 8(.1)? Watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I don't quite understand, there are a few annoying quirks, but the main reasons people seem to complain are:
    1) Modern UI
    2) No start menu

But, are either of these really reasons to hate? If you don't like Modern UI, don't use it, there are a couple of things which force you into the modern UI, but most people will barely touch these things.
    No start menu? Download one And anyway, when they will bring it back in windows 9 I will barely use it (apart from the functionality that remains in 8 via right clicking the windows icon).
    The only other slightly annoying thing is the really derpy default programs, but they're easy enough to change.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    I don't quite understand, there are a few annoying quirks, but the main reasons people seem to complain are:
    1) Modern UI
    2) No start menu

But, are either of these really reasons to hate? If you don't like Modern UI, don't use it, there are a couple of things which force you into the modern UI, but most people will barely touch these things.
    No start menu? Download one And anyway, when they will bring it back in windows 9 I will barely use it (apart from the functionality that remains in 8 via right clicking the windows icon).
    The only other slightly annoying thing is the really derpy default programs, but they're easy enough to change.
    I don't think people actually dislike the OS itself. I think people just dislike the unfamiliarity with it. As someone who is an advanced computer user, I'd have to say that Windows 8 has just completely changed the layout from Windows 7. Everyone has always been used to the simplistic navigation provided on Windows 7.

Although I don't particularly agree with entering the BIOS menu or entering advanced system settings (Troubleshooting) on Windows 8.

ReputationRep:
    Because it's completely new from what people are used to. People that can't adapt to changes will always hate newer things. Same with FIFA 14, which was quite a lot different from FIFA 13 and all the previous ones, resulting in everyone hating on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Binary Freak)
    I don't think people actually dislike the OS itself. I think people just dislike the unfamiliarity with it. As someone who is an advanced computer user, I'd have to say that Windows 8 has just completely changed the layout from Windows 7. Everyone has always been used to the simplistic navigation provided on Windows 7.

Although I don't particularly agree with entering the BIOS menu or entering advanced system settings (Troubleshooting) on Windows 8.
    Agreed! I'm not a pro when it comes to technology so I'm not particularly concerned with the nitty-gritty of the OS. :/ The only thing that bothers me is the unfriendly user interface. :mad: It's a huge jump from Windows 7 (which I absolutely love)! Windows users like me really do not appreciate a steep learning curve. (I mean, why do you think I'm still using Windows instead of Mac? LOL :rolleyes:)

Windows 8 is the main reason why I'm putting off the purchase of a new laptop for the start of uni. Praying that my beloved laptop (which is running Windows 7) will last until the new OS is out. I'll probably turn to the last resort of getting a Mac is they don't fix what's going on with Windows 8.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    If you ignore the modern UI I find it a lot better, especially since all I ever really use in Windowskey+s to find everything I want to find, unless ofc I know a faster way such as exactly where it is if I don't know the name, or via steam/origin etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessalternative)
    Agreed! I'm not a pro when it comes to technology so I'm not particularly concerned with the nitty-gritty of the OS. :/ The only thing that bothers me is the unfriendly user interface. :mad: It's a huge jump from Windows 7 (which I absolutely love)! Windows users like me really do not appreciate a steep learning curve. (I mean, why do you think I'm still using Windows instead of Mac? LOL :rolleyes:)

Windows 8 is the main reason why I'm putting off the purchase of a new laptop for the start of uni. Praying that my beloved laptop (which is running Windows 7) will last until the new OS is out. I'll probably turn to the last resort of getting a Mac is they don't fix what's going on with Windows 8.
    The Mac, the Mac :sick:

As for Windows 8, it's quite a step up for anyone used to Windows 7, although it's not that bad. I did do some training on Windows 8 when it first came out, that's when I hated it, really hated it :P

Currently though I do tend to steer some of my friends in the right direction for Windows 8.

If you want I could probably do some serious hunting for Laptops that still use Windows 7 for you?

ReputationRep:
    I was still using a vista when I got my laptop :rofl: so that's not even windows 7 and I loved windows 8 and I adapted really quickly - some people just don't like change I guess
    • Welcome Squad

I LOVE W8 and 8.1 :love:

but XP was the best!

ReputationRep:
    Windows 8 is just crap. Sure it is fast and fairly reliable. But it is made for tablets and touch screen devices, so with a laptop without touchscreen it renders the whole "window" screen useless. Also it updates all the bloody time (about every 3 days) and it doesn't actually fix anything. Every time it updates and restarts it also resets the trackpad multi touch functions which then need to be reconfigured.

Windows 7 is where it is at. I'm sure windows 8 is good with touchscreen, but I hate it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    Windows 8 is just crap. Sure it is fast and fairly reliable. But it is made for tablets and touch screen devices, so with a laptop without touchscreen it renders the whole "window" screen useless. Also it updates all the bloody time (about every 3 days) and it doesn't actually fix anything. Every time it updates and restarts it also resets the trackpad multi touch functions which then need to be reconfigured.

Windows 7 is where it is at. I'm sure windows 8 is good with touchscreen, but I hate it.
    By the sounds of it you're one of these people that seems to forget that modern UI is optional

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cupcakes87)
    I LOVE W8 and 8.1 :love:

but XP was the best!
    I only ever liked XP because Pinball came pre-installed

ReputationRep:
    By the sounds of it you're one of these people that seems to forget that modern UI is optional
    I know it is optional, but the time spent on the new UI is wasted on the majority of laptop users. They could have spent their time much more effectively ironing out bugs and generally improving the systems. Rather than working on a gimmick.

ReputationRep:
    BSOD. that is all
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    I know it is optional, but the time spent on the new UI is wasted on the majority of laptop users. They could have spent their time much more effectively ironing out bugs and generally improving the systems. Rather than working on a gimmick.
    It's a cost saving "gimmick", and using it with a touchscreen is very good, for those without a touch screen there is no gain from it, but nor is there any loss. And, if they take it as far as they're trying to, they have a 1 up on Apple

ReputationRep:
    The Mac, the Mac :sick:

As for Windows 8, it's quite a step up for anyone used to Windows 7, although it's not that bad. I did do some training on Windows 8 when it first came out, that's when I hated it, really hated it :P

Currently though I do tend to steer some of my friends in the right direction for Windows 8.

If you want I could probably do some serious hunting for Laptops that still use Windows 7 for you?
    I was planning to get an ASUS Ultrabook since I'm always on the move due to uni and all that. But when I asked about downgrading the OS from Win8 to Win7, the vendor said that the warranty will not apply to my ultrabook if I proceeded with the downgrade. That basically meant that I'm dead meat if anything happens to my ultrabook during my course duration.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessalternative)
    I was planning to get an ASUS Ultrabook since I'm always on the move due to uni and all that. But when I asked about downgrading the OS from Win8 to Win7, the vendor said that the warranty will not apply to my ultrabook if I proceeded with the downgrade. That basically meant that I'm dead meat if anything happens to my ultrabook during my course duration.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You could try Ebuyer?

ReputationRep:
    You could try Ebuyer?
    Ooooh... Looks interesting! There might just be the right laptop for me there. Thank you!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

1) Modern UI
    2) No start menu

I think they mad sit very different to how they usually make their software. There are severe big changes and people had to get used to them. This is the main issue, as far as it was with me anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't it riddled with NSA backdoors?

ReputationRep:
    Inconsistency. Depending on whether I'm in 'Windows 8 mode' (why the hell isn't it all Windows 8 mode?) the functionality I have is different. EG if I open settings in the fullscreen mode, I can access different set of settings to if I open settings from the desktop. The same is true of a load of other apps.

Also, one particular thing that bugs me is the calculator. The only calculator that comes preinstalled can only be used fullscreen. In what world is that useful?!

Also, in the programs list, there are two 'columns' of programs. Whether a program appears in the left column, the right column or (occasionally) both columns seems to be completely random.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.