The Student Room Group

Parents wont let me stay out for uni :(

I was first gonna go to a uni about 3-4 hours away, but my mum didnt let me, so my only other choice is one thats about 1hr and a half away, and she still wont let me live out! I dont wanna spend 3 hours of my day going back and to uni, I wanna enjoy the uni life! But nothing I say is changing her mind, and I really wanna go! :frown:
Reply 1
You're an adult, just tell her what's happening
hiyya we are actually on the same boat, im starting to apply for uni this Sept and both of my parents want me to stay at home but i dont want to because of thousands reasons lol but i think what will happen is that i will move whether they like it or not lol. Why is your mum not allowing you?
Reply 3
Original post by prudence290497
hiyya we are actually on the same boat, im starting to apply for uni this Sept and both of my parents want me to stay at home but i dont want to because of thousands reasons lol but i think what will happen is that i will move whether they like it or not lol. Why is your mum not allowing you?
think shes just overprotective of me and worries easily.
Looks like your just going to have to do it your self they can say you can't move out but they can't actually stop you especially if you have your own car pack the car at night leave a note and leave before they wake up and if you can apply to the one you wanted through clearing it is a risk but if it's what you want go for it.
Staying at home while going to university would considerably shorter the prospects of a great social life. The vast majority of my friends that I made at university I met during freshers week on events such as bar crawls. I actually only have a few friends on my course. Living away from home is one of the best parts of going to university in my opinion. Just tell your parents that you need the independence, after all you are an adult or will be soon.
Reply 6
Original post by Mav455
think shes just overprotective of me and worries easily.

Are you white?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mav455
I was first gonna go to a uni about 3-4 hours away, but my mum didnt let me, so my only other choice is one thats about 1hr and a half away, and she still wont let me live out! I dont wanna spend 3 hours of my day going back and to uni, I wanna enjoy the uni life! But nothing I say is changing her mind, and I really wanna go! :frown:

You're 18. It's not that she didn't let you, she said no and you obeyed. You're legally an adult. Do whatever you want. If you want to spend the rest of your life obeying her by all means do but i doubt you'd be happy.
Reply 8
Original post by iamu
You're an adult, just tell her what's happening

This.
Original post by Mav455

Tell them that they aren't the boss of you.
If you're moving out against their will, they should be allowed to convert your bedroom into storage or a hobby room :biggrin:
I was in the same position as you, though I decided to make a compromise that I stay in a flat which is about a half hour drive from my parents' flat. So I still get the social life at uni and have some amazing flatmates. However, the commute time is only shortened by 20 minutes.

My parents wanted me to stay in London because of problems in the family and I need to take care of my mother. OP, I think it's about time you need to tell them that you want to move out. Doesn't have to be very far from home. Halls IMO are overrated and noisy.
(edited 9 years ago)
It's not easy to say no to your parents when you have been used to obeying them your whole life, but it's time to make your own decisions. They may withdraw financial support or make it difficult for you to come home in the holidays but most likely, they will give in when they realise that you have made your decision either way. If they refuse to help you out financially, you will probably have to work part-time during term, and full-time in the holidays, but lots of students manage that. Better to have to work harder, but be independent and choose your own course in life, than to allow your family to make your decisions for you.
I'm 18 years old and I tell my parents what I want to do. I don't ask them "hey can I move away?"

Honestly tell them you are moving and you are applying for accommodation. They'll be hesitant but afterwards I'm sure they'll come around.

Unless you are from those extreme families where they think kicking the child out for that then I don't know what to say..

As some people mentioned they will change your room! My parents are planning to give it to my bother -_____-

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JulietheCat
problems

Why is "problems" filtered out? It's not a swear word.
Original post by SecretDuck
Why is "problems" filtered out? It's not a swear word.

Thank you for reminding me. I edited the post. :smile:
Grow a pair and tell her what the craic is you're 18.
Original post by Mav455

Like others have said, you are an adult. There is nothing she can legally do to keep you there or stop you doing as you please.

My parents used to be overbearing, just tell them they are and that they shouldn't be. Then tell them what you want to and are going to do :smile:
Welcome to Student Finance England :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest