The Student Room Group

National Scholarship Programme

I am writing on behalf of My daughter.

As a high grade student from a low income family she has been advised she will be eligible for the National Scholarship Programme, £3000. Given the financial background of the student and their hard work, it would seem reasonable to me that the money should give them some tangible benefit 'during' their studies that cannot be provided from any other source.

The scholarship is issued to institutions by The HEFCE with guidelines on how the institution should administer it. My daughters college operate the scholarship in two ways. For live in students they offer a reduction on the cost of their accommodation, effectively issuing an accomodation bill reduced by £3000, effectively putting £3000 of useful money in the student's pocket. This together with the higher student finance for live in students is an enormous financial help during their studies. The course is practical and requires a great deal of additional expensive compulsory equipment out of your own pocket. HEFCE guidelines allow for a significant portion of the scholarship to be paid in cash, but her institution decline to operate that option.

For non-live in students they offer a reduction in fees. While this is the same monetary value, it does not have the same useful impact on studies. Also from a purely technically financial point of view cash at such very preferential terms would always be of greater value. For this reason students living at home with their low income parents have considerably less immediately useful income for their transport and expensive equipment.

Her college prevent students with a 1.5 hour bus journey from being allowed to live in. She is such a student. So in addition to hugely reduced immediately useful income she will have 3 hours of travelling every day! This has a potential to impact on her chances of success.

In effect if while living at home she were to borrow the £3000 from else where at favorable arrangements similar to those offered by student finance England then she would effectively be placed much closer to the financial position of the live in students.

Does any one know of any alternative financial help which may help her navigate around this inconvenient inflexibility of her institutions administration of the NSP?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Any one have any thoughts?
Sorry to hear about your daughter's situation. Did you research the bursary system at the university before applying to study there?

There is no other available funding as far as I am aware. You can research grant supplying institutes online, just search on Google.

Having such a long journey to and from university, is likely to have a significant impact on her social life. Especially in regards to making friends at university. I am not sure what the reasons are for your daughter living at home, but staying in dorms, provides many more benefits than simply being within the vicinity of the university.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending