The Student Room Group

Now the economy has bounced back to pre recession levels, the Tories have won!

Face it, Tories fixed it while Labour are still spewing **** out of their mouths.
Whilst I am a Tory supporter, I can see the other side of the argument. Labour have been saying and will continue to say:

1. The recovery is too slow, it would have been quicker with Labour, (I doubt it)

2. It's only for the rich, "crisis of living" etc.

3. Public services have been destroyed

4. Unemployment stats manipulated, food banks etc.

It's an argument that resonates with some, and that combined with Labour's promise to give freebies and tax the rich more means they will get many votes. Labour still have a very big chance of winning the election, it's always easier when you're in opposition.
GDP per capita hasn't returned to normal though so this essentially means nothing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Private home ownership as a percentage of population is plummeting.
When quality of life has lowered and cost of living has risen (for those less well off), the state of the economy is irrelevant.

What is the economy? Basically it's something to support the people. People should be put before the economy, and if they aren't, something which is basically theoretical is being given more priority than those its meant to support.
The average quality of life has not returned to pre-recession levels so no

Also, this is not to say that Labour would not have done equally well
Reply 6
While I believe Labour will fail in their mantra of the squeezed middle (there's a difference between not being able to spend on your credit card and needing a food bank) thus meaning that Cameron will retain a plurality of B and C1 voters, I think the incompetence surrounding some of the welfare cuts though in addition to the cost of living message will generate quite a large C2 swing to Labour (Cameron got 39% in 2010). This makes a majority exceptionally unlikely.

While I don't think Labour in government would gave done much better I do believe that the coalition made some notable mistakes like halving capital spending so I give their economic performance only a B-.
Original post by Rakas21
While I believe Labour will fail in their mantra of the squeezed middle (there's a difference between not being able to spend on your credit card and needing a food bank) thus meaning that Cameron will retain a plurality of B and C1 voters, I think the incompetence surrounding some of the welfare cuts though in addition to the cost of living message will generate quite a large C2 swing to Labour (Cameron got 39% in 2010). This makes a majority exceptionally unlikely.

While I don't think Labour in government would gave done much better I do believe that the coalition made some notable mistakes like halving capital spending so I give their economic performance only a B-.

If anyone from the Plain English Campaign saw this, I think they might actually explode.

Posted from TSR Mobile
In for facts.
Reply 9
The next general election is in 2015. Over 5 years since 2010 (7 years since the financial crash), it was always more than likely that the economy would have recovered back to pre-recession levels regardless of what the government did, certainly under labour, the same would've happened, considering how there was so little difference between both of their plans.

I think we're now seeing the REAL reason why one of the first things this coalition government did when they came to power, was to create fixed 5 year parliament terms. They wanted to give themselves to maximum amount of time for the economy to recover, they knew the economy probably wouldn't have recovered until about now or later. If they didn't have these 5 year fixed term, they would've had have a general election a few months ago. Of course, they could've done what gordon brown and john major did, by clinging onto power into the 5th year of parliament, but that would've been seen as desperate and negative. Now, david cameron could go into the general election next year 'just as planned', claiming to have fully repaired the economy within his 5 year term.
Original post by Old_Simon
Private home ownership as a percentage of population is plummeting.

Given that new builds still have not matched the 300,000 we need a year that's not surprising. We need more houses built.

With that being said, I support less mortgage lending as banks actually learnt their lesson afterward and restricted lending. Unfortunately the political class stuck their oar in.

Original post by InnerTemple
If anyone from the Plain English Campaign saw this, I think they might actually explode.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ha, I'll try explain more simply.

Voters are split into 6 categories (a, b, c1, c2, d, e)..

A - Upper class
B - Middle class
C1 - Lower middle class/upper working class
C2 - Lower working class
D - Unemployed
E - Disabled ECT...

Until the 70's their was a strong class to political alignment with the Tories and Labour.

Since then though the next decade saw a rapid class dealignment culminating in Thatcher getting 45% of C2 votes in 87 and major getting 52% of ABC1 votes in 92. Blair got a plurality of B voters in his victories.

In 2010 Cameron got 39% of C2 voters and even 30% of E voters (probably the anti immigrant and welfare rhetoric).

So to expand my thoughts, Cameron will probably do a major and keep the ABC1 votes but the stuff like the bedroom tax will decimate the Tory vote in the C2DE classes.

Hence, neither party will get a majority.
Sluggish Western Capitalism will never be permanently fixed, we're just in a state of waiting for the next bust in the boom/bust cycle. The two-party system ensures that we're consistently subjected to the same centre-right politics so, in effect, it's the upper and upper-middle classes who have "won", not necessarily just the Tories, although for how long is always uncertain.
Reply 12
Original post by miscounted_time
GDP per capita hasn't returned to normal though so this essentially means nothing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

GDP per member of the working age population has.

Not that GDP means much anyway.
Reply 13
Original post by Jack93o
The next general election is in 2015. Over 5 years since 2010 (7 years since the financial crash), it was always more than likely that the economy would have recovered back to pre-recession levels regardless of what the government did, certainly under labour, the same would've happened, considering how there was so little difference between both of their plans.

I think we're now seeing the REAL reason why one of the first things this coalition government did when they came to power, was to create fixed 5 year parliament terms. They wanted to give themselves to maximum amount of time for the economy to recover, they knew the economy probably wouldn't have recovered until about now or later. If they didn't have these 5 year fixed term, they would've had have a general election a few months ago. Of course, they could've done what gordon brown and john major did, by clinging onto power into the 5th year of parliament, but that would've been seen as desperate and negative. Now, david cameron could go into the general election next year 'just as planned', claiming to have fully repaired the economy within his 5 year term.

Curious how you've got so much neg rep since you can make a post as good as this one.
Original post by Quady
Curious how you've got so much neg rep since you can make a post as good as this one.

haha dunno mate :tongue:
Total GDP going back to pre recession levels is almost irrelevant. The population has increased by 4.5% since then. Which means that total wealth has increased, wealth per person (GDP per capita) has not increased. With the rate we're going, it'll be 2020 before we reach pre recession GDP per capita.

Same with wages, Real Wages are not increasing, even with growth in the economy. So even with increased employment; wages and productivity are stagnating. We won't get increased GDP per capita until we increase real wages and productivity.

Long, long way to go before you can say "Tories have won".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending