Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Updating to Windows 8.1 - laptop repeatedly rebooting? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have a Samsung laptop that I got a year or so ago and it came pre-installed with Windows 8. Today I updated it to Windows 8.1 and the update seemed to go well. However, my laptop had to restart and it has just been restarting in a loop continuously! I can't log in to my laptop at all! Please help me, how do I fix this? I've tried turning my laptop off and then on again but it just keeps rebooting.

ReputationRep:
    If you installed it with a CD remove the CD from the drive tray.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoundTrip)
    If you installed it with a CD remove the CD from the drive tray.
    Unfortunately I did not install it with a CD, I got it as a free update from the Windows Store.

ReputationRep:
    I've managed to get into Recovery Mode but it says that I need to back up all my files. I've plugged my USB in but it just comes up with a message saying, 'There are no drives available for backup.'

If I wipe my laptop of everything (I have most of my important files backed up somewhere), will I lose my Kaspersky Anti-Virus and my Microsoft Word? Apparently my last recovery point is from December 2012?! Shouldn't I have a more recent one than that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Purple-Pixie)
    I have a Samsung laptop that I got a year or so ago and it came pre-installed with Windows 8. Today I updated it to Windows 8.1 and the update seemed to go well. However, my laptop had to restart and it has just been restarting in a loop continuously! I can't log in to my laptop at all! Please help me, how do I fix this? I've tried turning my laptop off and then on again but it just keeps rebooting.
    Possibly, as long as you have the serial code or login, etc

Try going to the manufacturers website and downloading the drivers for your laptop specifically the ones which are compatible with 8.1?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Purple-Pixie)
    I've managed to get into Recovery Mode but it says that I need to back up all my files. I've plugged my USB in but it just comes up with a message saying, 'There are no drives available for backup.'

If I wipe my laptop of everything (I have most of my important files backed up somewhere), will I lose my Kaspersky Anti-Virus and my Microsoft Word? Apparently my last recovery point is from December 2012?! Shouldn't I have a more recent one than that?
    You should have a licence key / email for them depending on how you got them, and you ahould have a newer restore point than 2012. If you need to recover your files, an Ubuntu live CD is about the best way

ReputationRep:
    This can sometimes be caused if the installation was interrupted. If you use a Linux Live CD you should be able to extract any valuable files from the hard drive.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 30, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.