Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

WWYD: save the last genetically diverse female lions on earth or a complete stranger? Watch

• View Poll Results: What would you do? Save...
    Lion cubs
    62.50%
    Stranger
    32.81%
    Neither
    4.69%

• TSR Community Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Following on from the conclusion that 92.3% of TSR would definitely save a loved one over the entire lion species in this thread, the new questions is...

You stumble across a complete stranger hanging off of a cliff, and a bag of genetically different, last female lion cubs on earth who are all sedate so they won't kill you if you rescue them, and there is a ready prepared breeding programme that can save all lions if you save these cubs.

You can save the stranger OR the last bag of genetically diverse female lion cubs, and thus the entire lion species - what would you do?

• TSR Community Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show

(Original post by aka r)
    x
    (Original post by bumblebee342)
    x
    (Original post by miser)
    x
    (Original post by felamaslen)
    x
    (Original post by Slowbro93)
    x
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    x
    (Original post by Zakirkhan)
    x
    (Original post by DarkTitan)
    x
    (Original post by joker12345)
    x
    (Original post by Dilsz)
    x
    (Original post by Pryender)
    x
    (Original post by porksandwich)
    x
    (Original post by BeanofJelly)
    x
    (Original post by blueskyblue)
    x
    (Original post by Superman_Jr)
    x
    (Original post by SHOO)
    x
    (Original post by incipientT)
    x
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    x
    (Original post by Marky Mark)
    x
    (Original post by meenu89)
    x
    (Original post by chazwomaq)
    x
    (Original post by KH94)
    x
    (Original post by LydiaFirefly<3)
    x
    (Original post by Last Day Lepers)
    x
    (Original post by Welsh_insomniac)
    x
    (Original post by james1211)
    x
    (Original post by vee_wuvshugs)
    x
    (Original post by markyb76)
    x
    (Original post by themorninglight)
    x
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    x
    (Original post by Ndella)
    x
    (Original post by Grace by Yahweh)
    x
    (Original post by iEatMuFFiNS)
    x
    (Original post by Gwilym101)
    x
    (Original post by deedee123)
    x
    (Original post by Jordooooom)
    x
    (Original post by superdarklord)
    x
    (Original post by lamyers1)
    x

Copying people in

ReputationRep:
    Stranger, your own species comes first. I would not shed a single tear if lions became extinct.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely save the lions , the world has enough people as it is.

We are a very selfish race , using the worlds resources at an alarming rate with no care for future generations . We've been responsible for the extinction of hundreds of animals throughout earths history all for our own gain - which is what exactly ? To wear a nice coat or some shoes , to stuff our faces with fatty foods etc . Humans are *******s , and the less of them on the planet the better.

ReputationRep:
    What does the stranger do?

ReputationRep:
    The beautiful lion cubs, of course. :love:
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    I would save the stranger.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Stranger. Because then all of the zebras and lovely wild animals could live a bit more happily without being eaten by lions :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Nobody knows! That's the trouble with strangers...

They could be a murderer for all you know, or a genius...

ReputationRep:
    The stranger; what exactly does the lion cub contribute to us humans?

ReputationRep:
    There is way to many variables that would come into play in this scenario
    1st - What does this said stranger look like? Jessica Alba? Justin Timberlake? Courtney Love? Steve Buscemi?
    2nd - Have I recently stepped in lion poo?
    3rd - Will humanity know of my choice?

but to answer the question I would wait for another person to walk by and help save the stranger and the lions. The reasoning behind this is, the path is obviously one of high traffic, seeing as it has both a random person who has slipped and fell off and now holding for their life, and myself are at this cliff. Not to mention that some person had traveled to this point to rid the world of these lions. With that knowledge being known, one can assume that myself, the man hanging there and the potential lion killer are not the only ones aware of this area, and someone will be along soon which will be able to help save both.

But it may also be that the person hanging for their life went to throw the lions off the cliff, slipped and managed to fall as well as lose grip of the lions, and ultimately put them where they are now. Which if this was the case, I would save the lions.

However, before I could decide if this person was guilty of trying to kill the lions, I would need to do some investigation work and examine this persons hands too see if there are any sign of claw marks or scratches. Also I would need to see if there is any evidence of slippage on the cliff.

And by the time I have done all of this investigation work and examining I would most likely be tired and wanting a bite to eat.
    So I would probably just save my stomach from hating me and go for a burger.
    That is what I would do

ReputationRep:
    psychology undergrad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueskyblue)
    Definitely save the lions , the world has enough people as it is.

We are a very selfish race , using the worlds resources at an alarming rate with no care for future generations . We've been responsible for the extinction of hundreds of animals throughout earths history all for our own gain - which is what exactly ? To wear a nice coat or some shoes , to stuff our faces with fatty foods etc . Humans are *******s , and the less of them on the planet the better.
    Feel free to throw yourself off a bridge then.

I'd save the human obviously, I wouldn't care in the least if lions were instinct. Most of the people who want to save the lions do so because they think they're "cute", they wouldn't care in the slightest if this;

was going extinct. I would be appalled by anybody who would prioritise an animal over a fellow human being.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    Feel free to throw yourself off a bridge then.

I'd save the human obviously, I wouldn't care in the least if lions were instinct. Most of the people who want to save the lions do so because they think they're "cute", they wouldn't care in the slightest if this;

was going extinct. I would be appalled by anybody who would prioritise an animal over a fellow human being.
    Should I get the opportunity I will gladly throw you off it instead.

Lets be honest , most of mankind don't amount to anything special or have an impact on the world . Sure there are doctors , groundbreaking scientists , inventors etc but most of the billions of people in the world are just corporate drones pumping more money into the system in exchange for their lives , spending their wages on useless commodities and seeking escape from their **** lives .

Humans are not this divine thing people make them out to be .

ReputationRep:
    Stranger. I don't see why we have to desperately try to preserve a species, and I certainly wouldn't do so at the cost of human life.

ReputationRep:
    People are animals too.

I don't know the one stranger, nor do I know the multiple and endangered lions. Therefore the lions should be prioritised.

ReputationRep:
    Surprised myself as much as anyone, I'd say lions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ndella)
    The stranger; what exactly does the lion cub contribute to us humans?
    Why do you hold the idea that they must do anything for us? In the long run a genetically diverse population of predators would benefit our planet, and consequently our species, a lot more than the life of one person.

ReputationRep:
    The stranger, the lions are sedate and aren't in crippling fear of dying like the stranger and at least the stranger would appreciate being saved

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't save either of them, they got themselves into that mess, they can get themselves out of it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 5, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.