Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting sixth form in September and am currently signed up for Psychology, English Language, Business and Media Studies but I have the chance to change them when I go to enrollment on GCSE results day.

What are people's thoughts on taking English Language & Literature combined instead of just language? I'm unsure on which to take because I enjoy reading more than writing but the books studied in just literature really don't interest me however the ones in combined english do...

I have no idea what job I want to do but a possibility is being a journalist or working for a magazine. Would combined be okay if I do decide to go for journalism?

I'm also considering Law instead of Media or Psychology... could anyone tell me what it's like?

Btw all subjects are studied on the AQA exam board.

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vickyanne_xo)
    I'
    Thanks in advance!
    I personally don't see thaaaat much difference between Lang & Lit+Lang. Just go which whatever you feel you can get the best grades in !

Journalism is fine, but you can easily get into the field without having to the degree. You see quite a lot of people doing courses like English, economics, politics, philosophy etc and still getting without many problems. So it may be worthy pursuing other courses for which opens more doors incase you dont quite get a job in journalism
    (W/ journalism its probably more better to produce portfolio like articles while at Uni)

I only did psychology from your list (One of the most popular taken A levels i believe). Its quite memory intensive, in that you will spend quite a bit of time reading and/or writing essays, so you can regurgitate them. However, the exams are relatively straight forward as you wont really get any questions like in maths or sciences in that can really throw you off balance / make you think really hard. Basically if you put in the time, you will get a good grade.

ReputationRep:
    To do Journalism you need English Lang/Lit and some social science subjects like Sociology, Politics, Economics, or something like History, Law or Psychology that shows you can absorb facts/opinions and write coherently. Don't bother with 'Media' - its a very lightweight subject and isn't taken seriously by employers or Universities (some won't actually count it as a subject).

There is no need to study a 'Journalism' degree at Uni - most of them are a total waste of time. The best journos in the UK didn't do one. They did degrees in Eng Lit, Politics, History etc and whilst at Uni wrote like crazy for student mags/newspapers, and then did a postgrad NCTJ accredited course (MA or PGDip) or a trainee scheme at the BBC etc. Lots of useful advice at http://www.nctj.com/want-to-be-a-journalist/careers. A 'normal subject degree' also avoids spending £60k on a course that you then cant use for anything else - ie. if you go off this career mid-course or can't get a job at the end of it, what do you do with BA Journalism then?

ReputationRep:
    From what I've heard:
    -LangLit is the study of how Language is used within Literature, it's NOT a half-and-half mix of Language and Literature. (at least, that's what it's like on the exam board my college uses).
    -LangLit is really easy and quite fun. (at least, that's what I've heard from everyone in my college who does it)
    -Language has loads of stuff to remember, whilst the other English subjects rely more upon essay-writing skills and imagination.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.