0 multiplies -∞.
    ∞ divides -∞.
    ∞ divides ∞.
    -∞ minus ∞.
    ∞ minus ∞.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    There are no answers to any of these questions.

Infinity isn't a number.

ReputationRep:
    The relationship has been strained for some time now.

ReputationRep:
    If you use the extended real line (which included both - and + infinity), then the answers are

undefined
    undefined
    undefined
    undefined

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what 0 divided by 0 is? It's one of those philosophical questions which I tend to overthink for! My Maths teacher was sure it was 1, but how can that be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DailyMailIsALiar)
    Does anyone know what 0 divided by 0 is? It's one of those philosophical questions which I tend to overthink for! My Maths teacher was sure it was 1, but how can that be?
    1 = 0/0 = (2*0)/0 = 2*(0/0) = 2*1 = 2

If you try and make 0/0 equal to a number then this leads to contradictions like the one above.

In almost all cases (unless perhaps you're using some unusual number system), 0/0 is undefined.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DailyMailIsALiar)
    This is not a philosophical question, it is a mathemtaical one and the answer is that it doesn't even make sense since division os not defined for denominator being 0. It's like asking what table tot he power of grape fruit is, it just doesn't make sense to even talk about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james22)
    Aren't they all indeterminate forms?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Khallil)
    Aren't they all indeterminate forms?
    When you consider them as limits, then yes (because they can be anytrhing, including undefined), but when considered as elements of the extended real line (as used in measure theory) they are as I said.

ReputationRep:
    Tried it, but my computer just keeps coming up with NaN :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    math error

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.