Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do many dislike 'gay people' because of instinct? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Considering that so many, non-religious, people dislike gays, with little reason to do so, is it not possible that there is another, more biological/psychological, reason? Could we be driven to loathe anyone who does not reproduce, and thus is of no use to the pack?

ReputationRep:
    I do not know any non-religious, educated person who does not like gays. Yes there are people who are indifferent, but I know nobody who actively dislikes them.

Education is the primary reason. Prejudices and stereotypes are socially inherited.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pacni)
    I do not know any non-religious, educated person who does not like gays. Yes there are people who are indifferent, but I know nobody who actively dislikes them.

Education is the primary reason. Prejudices and stereotypes are socially inherited.
    This ^^^

Anyone with a scrap of intelligence would realise that disliking someone for something as irrelevant as their sexual preference is ridiculous. Which is why there's a long history of discrimination against gays in religion (because it's a load of BS).

ReputationRep:
    I have nothing against gays, but someone I know pointed out that if everyone was 'Homosexual', then there would be no population afer so many years, this may be a reason that people do not like the idea of it maybe, I don't know

ReputationRep:
    Lol a gay person would be more useful to the pack seeing as they won't be competing with you for poontang.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    Lol a gay person would be more useful to the pack seeing as they won't be competing with you for poontang.
    But also a danger. What if you had to keep peppering your angus? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RocketCiaranJ)
    Considering that so many, non-religious, people dislike gays, with little reason to do so, is it not possible that there is another, more biological/psychological, reason? Could we be driven to loathe anyone who does not reproduce, and thus is of no use to the pack?
    From the 'selfish gene' perspective a heterosexual male, for example, would have one less competitor in the form of a homosexual male, so I think the argument from instinct is flawed at least on that basis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Axiomasher)
    From the 'selfish gene' perspective a heterosexual male, for example, would have one less competitor in the form of a homosexual male, so I think the argument from instinct is flawed at least on that basis.
    Although a 'homosexual male' in the pack would reduce competition, it would also mean that the pack would be weaker as a whole; with less offspring being born.

ReputationRep:
    i think in this day and age its about money. people cant admit theyre wrong because they will be less popular than the opposition thus make lessmoney. remember these are the bullies in the playground who laugh at deprivation and battery so by their own standards its reasonable to them to believe it. id be gobsmacked myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Axiomasher)
    but as the lgbt population represents one percent wouldnt competition be found elsewhere thus selecting for genes with other utility like setting hair on fire if emo is cooler than you

ReputationRep:
    I do not know any gay people, for a start. Quite a few of them feel the need to draw attention to themselves, allowing everyone to know that they are gay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EatAndRevise)
    ...Quite a few of them feel the need to draw attention to themselves, allowing everyone to know that they are gay.
    Would agree with this, however the opposite can also be true - where they just prefer to keep it quiet though.

Either way though, it is the thought of where they are putting their tallywacker that is the disturbing and disgusting part - maybe that is the 'instinct' that we know we don't like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ufo2012)
    Would agree with this, however the opposite can also be true - where they just prefer to keep it quiet though.

Either way though, it is the thought of where they are putting their tallywacker that is the disturbing and disgusting part - maybe that is the 'instinct' that we know we don't like.
    i know alot of heterosexuals but idont picture their genitalia - that is personal and can be sensetive. perhaps heteros are disgusting perverts in that sense. plus the rising population.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EatAndRevise)
    I do not know any gay people, for a start. Quite a few of them feel the need to draw attention to themselves, allowing everyone to know that they are gay.
    A common misconception. The people that you know are gay, will be the people that announce it; and the majority that don't, you assume are straight.

ReputationRep:
    There was someone in my class who was gay but I didn't know until a while after and they behaved as a normal person would, not all campy and girly etc. So therefore I think people dislike campy/girly stereotype gay people but if someone who behaved normally suddenly sprung on you that they were gay, I'm sure most people would be fine with it.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I don't know anyone who (openly) dislikes gay people who isn't religious.

ReputationRep:
    ^^^haram. And I ain't even Muslim lol

ReputationRep:
    Well I must say there does seem to be a few more non-religious people than I thought, certainly at least on here that are homophobic. But yeah, I agree with the earlier posts, I do wonder about the people who hate others just for their sexual preference, something these people have no control over, its none of their business either what gay people get up to, so why are they so bothered? And as for those who make the comments like 'I'm not homophobic, but I just wish they wouldn't flaunt their gayness in front of me' like for when they see 2 guys kissing or holding hands, you wouldn't say that for a heterosexual couple (and there's certainly no lack of heterosexual couples showing their love for each other in public), so why should a homosexual couple be any different?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olie)
    Well I must say there does seem to be a few more non-religious people than I thought, certainly at least on here that are homophobic. But yeah, I agree with the earlier posts, I do wonder about the people who hate others just for their sexual preference, something these people have no control over, its none of their business either what gay people get up to, so why are they so bothered? And as for those who make the comments like 'I'm not homophobic, but I just wish they wouldn't flaunt their gayness in front of me' like for when they see 2 guys kissing or holding hands, you wouldn't say that for a heterosexual couple (and there's certainly no lack of heterosexual couples showing their love for each other in public), so why should a homosexual couple be any different?
    Arguable.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olie)
    you wouldn't say that for a heterosexual couple
    I just hate public affection.. Sexuality is irrelevant.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.