Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Corsets - Surely it's my decision? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if fashion is the correct place but here goes anyway.

Over the last 8 months I have got to really like corsets - I like the style, I like the shape they give me - I just like them.

I have now got 4 and over the last 8 months have found I have worn them more often. I find when you wear corsets regularly you find you get used to them and lace a bit tighter and so on until suddenly you find you can lace quite tight and its perfectly comfortable.

My mum now is starting to get on my case as she thinks its not healthy and I lace too tight and for too long.

Its becoming an issue that we are falling out over. I feel I don't want to back down. She think...well I don't know what she thinks anymore.

At 17 I',m finding this really frustrating - its not like i have had a tattoo or piercings - its just a corset.

Is it me or do you think I'm been unreasonable?

Sorry - ranty post...just annoyed

ReputationRep:
    It's really bad for your body to corset all the time. Especially because you're 17 so you're still 'growing' I guess.
    I would just try to limit your use. There's tonnes of info about it online.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ldsbabe)
    It's really bad for your body to corset all the time. Especially because you're 17 so you're still 'growing' I guess.
    I would just try to limit your use. There's tonnes of info about it online.
    Thanks for the reply...sorry reli grumpy ranty post!

Yeah - I have looked at loads of stuff online and yeah if you get silly tight then it can be an issue. I think also people who corset for 23 hours a day and sleep in them are been a bit silly. I just wear in the day and never sleep in one - like my sleep to much.

One of mums friends is a doctor and mum has been asking her about it and it kind of backfired on her as she said with in reason (not silly tight) and I'm not sleeping in them, she cud'nt see any issue

ReputationRep:
    I don't see a problem with it, as long as your comfortable wearing them and not excessive tight then nothing wrong with wearing them. At the end of the day it is your body and it is your choice what you wear, no one can tell you what you can and can't wear. Just tell your mom that you understand where she is coming from in regards to damage can be done if too tight etc etc and that you don't wear them excessive tight and never wear them at night and that if you start to feel something wrong you will stop wearing them.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I quite like corsets too. But your mum is probably worried as you are still growing. It should be fine, just make sure to not to make the corset too tight

ReputationRep:
    As long as it's not too tight that you can't breathe, I suppose it's okay.
    Then again, none of us are experts but since you're still growing, it's not advisable.

ReputationRep:
    I think there are some health risks if you Google it. Your mum just wants you to take care

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.