Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are Some Holidays Considered "Classy" or "Trashy"? Watch

ReputationRep:
    For example, would you say that something like a clubbing holiday to Magaluf or Ibiza is considered "trashy," whereas a gap-yah style expedition to Peru with a couple of friends or solo might be seen as relatively "upper middle class?" (Not associating working class people with trashiness, OFC )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dehydrated)
    For example, would you say that something like a clubbing holiday to Magaluf or Ibiza is considered "trashy," whereas a gap-yah style expedition to Peru with a couple of friends or solo might be seen as relatively "upper middle class?" (Not associating working class people with trashiness, OFC )
    Gonna move this to Travel for you

I just wish I could afford to go on holiday this year - I'll take any of the above options!

ReputationRep:
    I guess. I think it also depends on what one likes out of a holiday. For me, it's more sights and hustle and bustle.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely. Going on a lads/girls holiday to somewhere like Kavos/Magaluf is very trashy in my opinion because people only go there to get smashed every night and then spend their days on a sunny beach with a massive hangover. Where is the appeal in that? I'd never go on one of those holidays. It would feel like you are home in England with so many Brits there and doesn't that defy the whole point of going abroad?

I'm more into classy holidays even though I'm not rich or posh. For me holidays are not about drinking (you can do that at home) but more about sight seeing, getting to know the culture, trying new food (75%) and partly about lounging about on the beach, by the pool (25%)

ReputationRep:
    A rich person could want a "trashy" holiday because they like going out and partying.

ReputationRep:
    I find it easier to say some holidays are considered trashy than others classy. I define trashy holidays as going abroad where all you do is get wasted and sleep it off during the day. That's not a holiday for me personally, it's just a bar crawl abroad. At the same time I wouldn't define holidays that don't do that as 'classy'. I prefer to sightsee, hike, visit coastlines and beaches and try out some adventure sports that I couldn't at home - that doesn't mean it is classy per se… if that makes sense? Plus I definitely don't think it is related to wealth or class, like kimolozen said above.

ReputationRep:
    In so far as there is a distinction between high and low culture (i.e. 'classy' and 'trashy') I think that holiday destination is one of the places where it is most prevalent, largely because if in London a person chooses to go out drinking instead of visiting a museum then that is a fairly low impact choice, well as with a holiday there is generally significant money involved, and so it is an investment in culture.

In choosing to go on one of these partying type holidays what one is saying is that they are prepared to spend significant amounts of money to escape culture and meaningful experience. That being said, I guess if people find meaning in getting drunk/doing whatever one does on such a holiday, then that is up to them.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 2, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.