Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    In a bit of a predicament. I've just completed my first year of a 4 year degree in Business Management. I achieved a 1st, and received 2 awards for the highest performing student.

However, I've recently been contemplating completing a degree in Architecture as I've always been interested in art and using my creative talents. (I completed a diploma in art and creative media prior to University). As this degree is a 5 year course, I would obviously have to complete it after I've graduated from my Business Management as undertaking two at the same time, probably isn't even possible?

Financing this would also be an issue so my question is, are there any other possible ways for me to achieve this through a different route? Maybe through a sponsorship from a company where I could work part-time and get training as an architect while studying the other half at university?

I know this sounds far fetched, but if i perform well and achieve a 1st, there may be more sponsorship opportunities?

Any advice would be much appreciated!
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Work load would almost certainly be too heavy to do two degree's at the same time. You would have to go through first year again on an architecture degree and do the three years initially. Student finance will not fund you to do the first year again even on a different degree so you would have to fund it yourself, tuition fees an d all. After first year you should be able to fund the second and third year from student finance again since you haven't done second or third year of a degree already. I really cannot see student finance funding two uni courses at the same time if that is what you are asking.

Most Architecture courses are quite heavy on the hours input involved and there can be a lot to get through, this would make doing two degrees at the same time a silly situation really, its not GCSE or Alevel where you can just bung on an extra subject. Many courses make first year relatively easy, though work is still needed to achieve a first, as the marks don't often count towards overall degree classification so wouldn't get too carried away about getting a first in first year. Basically, its to encourage first years to stay on for the second so the uni's can get more dosh through tuition fees.

Possibly a first in first year business management may interest an architecture practice taking you on a part time basis for a day or two alongside your studies or something like that, the construction industry is picking up a bit now. Can't really see them sponsoring you though, even a part time job may be very difficult, it would mean them passing over already qualified architecture graduate for someone unqualified and hence almost certainly lacking in the skills to be learned. Anyone gaining sponsorship in Architecture has almost certainly a close contact in the industry, i.e. mummy or daddy's little darling, best friend old school tie. While Business studies may be a little useful there is no telling how well you might perform in Architecture to these practices as its a whole different skillset. There not going to want to waste much time and money on someone who may not be that good, may leave at the end of the three years and has not got up the road much in terms of architecture skills themselves when there's loads of unemployed Architecture grads out there already well trained up. That's how I see it anyway, and probably a lot of others on here. Hope it helps.

ps. if you are suggesting doing your 4 years business management then up to 5 years architecture then I would suggest this is too much in one trot as most people are exhausted of studies after 3-4 years if not sooner. It would be worrying if you ever would ever leave the world of studying, I would suggest deciding on one or the other, odds are your uni may issue HNC certificates for the first year of your business management study should you choose to leave.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.