The Student Room Group

In desperate need of advice!

Hi
I really need some advice....

I have a place on year one of Digital Media Production at Sheffield Hallam University in September. I did a year of Interactive Media with Animation at the same uni and I and my peers were mis-sold the course, being led to believe it was a creative computing course (in the interviews we had a 3D animation class, and yet did none of it on the course!) and instead it was pure maths and programming. None of us wanted to progress onto year two. I would have dropped out and transferred course straight away but we all got told 'it gets better', so we stayed. Now I've wasted all that money, I highly doubt I will be able to get it back(?) and I no longer trust the university. It's actually making me feel sick how much money I wasted because I was misled.

I am scared that the same thing will happen on Digital Media and I'll waste even more money. I'm not even sure that it's the right career path but I don't have any other options. There are no jobs available and I am over-qualified for an Apprenticeship, and there are no Higher Level Apprenticeships available at all in South Yorkshire.

I've spoken to Sheffield Hallam and they told me to go in and see them (not useful when I'm not in Sheffield rn!) and gave no other advice, I talked to the National Careers Service and they just emphasised that I need to choose a career (what's the point when there's no jobs going anyway) and Doncaster College just told me that Apprenticeships are for people with no qualifications.

I just... I want to know what to do and if I should have another go at university or if there are any other options out there.

Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply

Latest