15.49%
    £200-499.99
    4.93%
    £500+
    7.75%
    I'd never hand it in, lol
    31.69%

ReputationRep:
    After the £20 on the street thread and 94% of TSr keeping the money where is the line?

How much would you need to find to make it worth your while handing it in?

£20? £100? £500?

ReputationRep:
    Anything above £50

ReputationRep:
    Not too sure about £50. £100+, definitely.

edit: Yeah, I'd probably hand in a £50 too. If it was, say, an envelope with a few notes in it I'd probably hand it in if it came to less than that, because i'd expect whoever lost it to check and see if it was handed in.

ReputationRep:
    Good idea.

I put £100 - 199.99, mainly because I don't think I'd go checking at a police station/customer services desk for anything under that amount if I lost it myself.

ReputationRep:
    £100+.

ReputationRep:
    i have been known to find 10p and not take it. Stems from a general distrust of people..what if it's a trap?

That and I'd like to think that the whole do unto others (e.g. whoever lost the money) as you would have them do unto you thing isn't utter bull.

ReputationRep:
    Anything over 50. If the 50 is in a letter or a wallet though I would hand it in. Would hate the thought of some person who really needed the money struggling because they'd lost it.

ReputationRep:
    Anything above £100, but it depends which street I find it on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aivicore)
    Good idea.

I put £100 - 199.99, mainly because I don't think I'd go checking at a police station/customer services desk for anything under that amount if I lost it myself.
    You'd not go I'd you lost £80?

Are you well off or lazy or both?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe above £50? Though in reality, I'd be too lazy to hand it in so would probably just keep whatever amount of money :lol:

Never. The chances are the person who dropped it is a **** anyway. I suppose it's that story about those kids who found like £40,000 in a briefcase and got no reward that puts me off helping others. I'd rather keep the cash.

ReputationRep:
        Largely depends on the how it's found.

If it's got some way of being identified and traced to it's original owner, then it should be handed in. If there's no way of telling then it gets trickier.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Drewski)
        Largely depends on the how it's found.

If it's got some way of being identified and traced to it's original owner, then it should be handed in. If there's no way of telling then it gets trickier.
        It's not in a wallet so no clear ID.

Assume it's in a brown envelope.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Motorbiker)
        You'd not go I'd you lost £80?

Are you well off or lazy or both?

Posted from TSR Mobile
        Haha.

Mostly the latter, but combined with the fact that I doubt most people would hand in £80, especially in bigger places like city centres and shopping malls.

ReputationRep:

The greed in me says that person has failed to take the proper precautions to look after their money or ensure it's speedy return in the event of it being lost. They therefore can't be trusted with said money...

ReputationRep:
        Id hand it over to the police station or a charity. If its not mine and I've not earnt it why should I use it? Im not judging anyone's moral compass at all but the whole 'Finders Keepers losers weepers' seems very wrong to me.

ReputationRep:
        Completely depends on where I found it. If I found any amount inside a shop I would hand it in at the desk. Not because I think they'll give back if a person came in and said "HI I lost £100 in here earlier" but just because literally feels like right thing to do.

If it was in the middle of a car park, or a busy street with no way to return it then yes I'd pick it up and keep it. That is assuming that it isn't in a wallet or purse etc. both of which I would hand over to the police.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
        In a way that makes it worse, before it was some clumsy adults money, now it could be like birthday money sent to a child by a relative (far fetched I know).

Taking the money that an adults dropped I'm OK with but I wouldn't want to take money from a child.

Also I'd prob say £75+ I'd hand it in as that's how much I'd have had to have lost before I went to see if anyone had handed it in :cool:

ReputationRep:
        If the money is not in a wallet, I keep it. If it was a roll of notes with a rubber band on, I would definitely hand it in, though. I guess that's anything over £200.
        • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
        I voted on the option £200+, but chances are it depends on the situation.
        It also depends on if there is a place to hand it into, that was local.

But I agree that anything in a wallet is to be handed in.

Anything under £50, I'd keep, unless it was in a wallet or purse. In a wallet or purse, it would be handed in, no matter what the amount

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
      Useful resources
      AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.