The Student Room Group

Do you live at home while attending uni?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SparkleFairy
I lived at home for all 3 years of university and I never missed out. I am still best friends with those that I met on my first day of uni whereas all of their friendships with housemates etc have fallen apart.
University is what you make it to be, living at home doesn't make you miss out, your choice on whether to get involved or not does.
Some of you mention what's the cut off point to living at home, my answer would be when work or relationships take me elsewhere. I really do not see the point in moving out to pay £400 a month in rent to live 10 minutes from your family home just for the sake of 'independence'. If your parents don't allow you to live an independent life when your at home, then fair enough move out but not everyones parents are like that.

Hello and welcome to the sensible club.
Original post by Welsh_insomniac
I graduated back in 2011 :smile: Had a job for a year, then studied post grad. Now I'm back in the big scary business world.

Oh wow, nice! All the best :smile:

Original post by donutaud15
By home do you mean with parents?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, I think that's what he means.
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Oh wow, nice! All the best :smile:

Yes, I think that's what he means.

Ok. Wasn't sure whether to answer since my home haven't been my parents' since before I started uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pane123
Because you are talking about putting yourself in thousands of pounds of debt for the sake of a few years' independence. Even if you're not going to be in debt, you would be better off saving the money. Living at home during university does not necessarily mean your social life will be inferior to those in halls. In fact, your overall quality of life will probably be better due to the extra money you have.

If you've got the extra money then presumably you're still talking about taking a loan out and spending it anyway so your argument about debt is needless. I had a 10 hour per week job throughout university which practically paid for my rent in Bath. Sure I know it's hard for people to gets job etc but I did everything it took to move out and stay out of debt. It made me stronger as a person and I've learned to stand on my own two feet. I had to then make sure my internships and 3 month job contracts during summer were locked in so I could pay and save my way through university. No debt and now I'm in a job that I feel I'm financially stable in.

My parents were in a much worse situation when they were 18 and they managed to move out and start a life for themselves. Why is it so hard for young people to do that today? You're making it out that they are incapable without daddy's money.
(edited 9 years ago)
If you've got the extra money then presumably you're still talking about taking a loan out and spending it anyway so your argument about debt is needless. I had a 10 hour per week job throughout university which practically paid for my rent in Bath. Sure I know it's hard for people to gets job etc but I did everything it took to move out and stay out of debt. It made me stronger as a person and I've learned to stand on my own two feet.

My parents were in a much worse situation when they were 18 and they managed to move out and start a life for themselves. Why is it so hard for young people to do that today? You're making it out that they are incapable without daddy's money.

Why are you presuming that I'm talking about taking a loan out? If you had a 10 hour job paying, let's say, £6/hour, you are earning about £3,000 a year, which wouldn't cover rent in most places. It most definitely would not cover rent and living expenses, meaning a loan (debt) is required. This is best avoided.

I don't think you can apply your parents' situation to modern times. And I'm not suggesting anyone is incapable, I am merely suggesting that it's more prudent to stay at home if possible.
Moving out to live in halls when you've got a perfectly good place to live at home (and you're five minutes way from your campus) for the 'experience' is ridiculous, have you got brain aids ffs?
To be honest, I wasn't actually sure if was ready for the responsibility of living away on my own (yet) :P plus I don't live really far away from Uni. Will be getting the bus to and from.
Would you say that people who live at home really, very much significantly, miss out on the whole uni experience in your opinion?

A little bit. Part of the experience of university is being thrown together with a group of flatmates, all of you completely different, from different parts of the country and completely different backgrounds, and suddenly spending all your time together. Its like being part of a huge and fascinating social experiment, seeing northerners, southerners, city folk, country folk, foreigners, posh private school kids, working class comp kids, all try to forge their own new identity in this crucible of communal living and drunken escapades. You learn more about yourself and your generation in 8 weeks than you have done in the previous 18 years.
Original post by pane123
Why are you presuming that I'm talking about taking a loan out? If you had a 10 hour job paying, let's say, £6/hour, you are earning about £3,000 a year, which wouldn't cover rent in most places. It most definitely would not cover rent and living expenses, meaning a loan (debt) is required. This is best avoided.

I don't think you can apply your parents' situation to modern times. And I'm not suggesting anyone is incapable, I am merely suggesting that it's more prudent to stay at home if possible.

Despite living in Bath my rent was only £280 a month. I was earning about £8 an hour. It wasn't the most fun experience, but I had about the same amount of money people had after rent came out of their loans anyway. Well you mentioned that you'd have more money by not moving away I just made the assumption you were talking about that money coming from a loan, my apologies.

I do think we can still compare situations. They were really poor, it would have completely benefited them if they all stayed in their parents house but they didn't because you're got to move away from home to find a job, if you stay in your parents home you're limited your job search to a very small radius. You're also missing out on a lot of life.

Your 20s is a time to find yourself, to set yourself up for the life you want to lead. It shouldn't be an extended childhood.
Original post by pane123
Hello and welcome to the sensible club.

Haha thanks!
Personally I wouldn't want to be friends with someone who didn't have time for me just because I didn't live in the same block/flat as them!
Despite living in Bath my rent was only £280 a month. I was earning about £8 an hour. It wasn't the most fun experience, but I had about the same amount of money people had after rent came out of their loans anyway. Well you mentioned that you'd have more money by not moving away I just made the assumption you were talking about that money coming from a loan, my apologies.

I do think we can still compare situations. They were really poor, it would have completely benefited them if they all stayed in their parents house but they didn't because you're got to move away from home to find a job, if you stay in your parents home you're limited your job search to a very small radius. You're also missing out on a lot of life.

Your 20s is a time to find yourself, to set yourself up for the life you want to lead. It shouldn't be an extended childhood.

Most people have finished studying by 23, which is still very young in the grand scheme of things. When you start working you can enjoy yourself and not have to worry about paying back large debts. I know you might not have had these debts, but they are a reality for most folk.

The reason I don't think we can compare older generations to today's youth is that we have so much more to buy before living a 'normal' life. Your parents would have required a house, some furniture, a couple of white goods and perhaps a TV. Nowadays, I would argue that things like subscription TV and broadband are almost essential, meaning that living away from home is a lot more expensive than it once was.
Original post by pane123
Most people have finished studying by 23, which is still very young in the grand scheme of things. When you start working you can enjoy yourself and not have to worry about paying back large debts. I know you might not have had these debts, but they are a reality for most folk.

The reason I don't think we can compare older generations to today's youth is that we have so much more to buy before living a 'normal' life. Your parents would have required a house, some furniture, a couple of white goods and perhaps a TV. Nowadays, I would argue that things like subscription TV and broadband are almost essential, meaning that living away from home is a lot more expensive than it once was.

That may be true but we don't really need to spend money on TV subscriptions and stuff like that. It's just a subconscious decision because everyone buys that. I'm a bit of a concious consumerist/minimalist so I'm more of the believer that we don't really need to be spending money on TV, especially considering Sky packages are ridiculously expensive.

I will be willing to say that living with your parents at home is only okay under one circumstance

You have a sound financial savings plan and you're a dedicated saver. If you're living at home you should at least be putting 50%, minimum, of income into savings so that when you move out you've got money to show for it. I know some people move at home under the guise of "being able to save" but I know for a fact that they hit expensive bars most week nights, spend frivolously on clothes and can barely make it month to month.
(edited 9 years ago)
You have a sound financial savings plan and you're a dedicated saver. If you're living at home you should at least be putting 50%, minimum, of income into savings so that when you move out you've got money to show for it. I know some people move at home under the guise of "being able to save" but I know for a fact that they hit expensive bars most week nights, spend frivolously on clothes and can barely make it month to month.

Why? What's wrong with going to expensive bars? Surely that suggests a good social life is possible without living in halls. Ending up in debt if you stay at home would be silly, but I don't see the need to save 50% of your income.
Original post by pane123
Why? What's wrong with going to expensive bars? Surely that suggests a good social life is possible without living in halls. Ending up in debt if you stay at home would be silly, but I don't see the need to save 50% of your income.

I'm coming from a perspective of after you've graduated and are living at home with your parents whilst having a job. Because it won't be far off until your 30s have arrived and you still don't have money for a house deposit or anything to show for living with your parents and moving out will be just as hard as if you did so when you move straight after finishing uni.

If you still don't have a problem with that then it just sounds like you'll live at home forever.
I'm coming from a perspective of after you've graduated and are living at home with your parents whilst having a job. Because it won't be far off until your 30s have arrived and you still don't have money for a house deposit or anything to show for living with your parents and moving out will be just as hard as if you did so when you move straight after finishing uni.

If you still don't have a problem with that then it just sounds like you'll live at home forever.

Well that's an entirely different perspective. I have friends who live at home and don't have 2 pennies to rub together come the end of the month, which, I agree, is both weird and foolish.

I do not live at home.
(edited 9 years ago)
My eldest lives in the family holiday house while attending uni.

She had the option for halls, private flat or live in the family holiday house which is 30 miles away. Why she does it?

-She preferred the environment of a house which for the most part is a house to herself over 90% of the time as we don't go there except during the holidays.

-Quiet environment. An idyllic Cotswold cottage beats the environment of a private flat or a hall in Oxford. She finds it difficult to sleep or study in a noisy environment.

-Essentially she has to learn how to manage her money as I told her she will get less from me by staying there.

-She does have a car so if she wants the social life it isn't too difficult to drive to where her friends are and it isn't unusual for all her friends to come over to the house.

-Clubbing and drinking? Living at the house doesn't stop her from doing so even when her mother or me is at the house.
Original post by Alfissti
My eldest lives in the family holiday house while attending uni.

That is what one might call "ideal".
Because I'm studying with The Open Uni so I don't have to move away, just attend lectures at my local uni which is only a few miles away every so often. It would be pointless for me to move when I don't have to attend a brick uni too often and when I do, its pretty much just up the road.
I live in the same city as my university so I commute from home :smile:

I'm considering moving into student living for my second and third year though.
(edited 9 years ago)
Would you say that people who live at home really, very much significantly, miss out on the whole uni experience in your opinion?

Yes.

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending