AS physics planning sheet (ocr)

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Ultra Genious
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
This planning exercise is the toughest yet, basically we have to design an experiment to measure how resistance of a strain gauge varies with the force applied to a material. In general i plan to hang mass on a thin sheet of material, attach the strain gauge and connect and ammeter and voltameter to the strain gauge in order to determine the resistance. I am having real trouble deciding what material to use and it's dimensions, as i need one ductile enough to stretch enough with the force range of 10 - 100 N, and stretch enough so that the strain gauge has a measurable change in resistance. But they havent specified a certain strain gauge to use, and how sensitive it will be to change in length and cross sectional area with resistance. I've tried calculations but even lead of youngs modulus 18Gpa only strecthes like 0.08mm with 10N force when it is 0.2m, by 0.1m, by 0.001m.
Any ideas?
shoe_box10
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
hi there..
there is already a thread on this topic so you might want to look there for some ideas..

http://www.uk-learning.net/t34273.html
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (73)
18.53%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (79)
20.05%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (75)
19.04%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (85)
21.57%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (41)
10.41%
I haven't started researching yet (41)
10.41%

Watched Threads