52.31%
The Matrix (31)
47.69%
Motorbiker
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Movie Madness is an event pitting 64 films against each other in a tournament where only one will triumph (to find out more,click here).

We've found the best film in each of the eight genres and the group winners and runner ups progressed to the last 16 where they fight for the overall win. We're now up to the final 8 films and the quarter finals have begun.

Who will progress to the next round? You decide.

The Shawshank Redemption (1994)
Perhaps the most famous cinematic disappointment ever, The Shawshank Redemption made up for it's poor box office with a second wind on home release based almost solely on word of mouth, catapulting it to the top of many people's film lists. Spanning decades, the film looks at life in prison and a blossoming friendship between the prison's fixer and a man convinced of his own innocence.

The Matrix (1999)
Coming at the turn of the 21st century when everyone was concerned with the age of technology, Matrix's subject matter of a human race enslaved by machines and put into a dream world representing our own seemed oddly topical. Combining the Wachowski brothers' penchant for tightly choreographed acrobatic fights and a strong narrative, this dystopian high-tech action thriller grips you from start to finish.
29Bilal96
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
whaaaaa how is TSR losing?
Motorbiker
Rep:
?
(Original post by 29Bilal96)
whaaaaa how is TSR losing?
Confused as i thought you meant the Student Room then.

No idea how Shawshank is losing tbh. I thought it would walk it easily. I even voted for it over the Matrix even though i'm a big Matrix fan.
ukip72
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Going to watch The Matrix later so I can make up my mind...
29Bilal96
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Motorbiker)
Confused as i thought you meant the Student Room then.

No idea how Shawshank is losing tbh. I thought it would walk it easily. I even voted for it over the Matrix even though i'm a big Matrix fan.
yup twas kinda deliberate
and exactly, its sooooooooooo awesome...idk maybe not everybody has seen it, which is weird enough as it is :eek:
silent ninja
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The Shawshank Redemption

I watched The Matrix last week. I enjoyed it, but Shawshank has so much more emotion attached to it. The performances are brilliant, the themes are brilliant. It's a classic movie you can watch again and again. I remember watching it as a kid (before IMDB or the internet existed) and it was a huge hit in our house. Then you learn online that lots of other people loved it too - somehow in some quarters that made it a worse movie? I don't understand that logic. Your opinions should be independent, not due to spite of the mainstream.
just a dad
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Shawshank - good, very good, but not "greatest movie of all time". Slightly overrated, poor ending.

Matrix - iconic and groundbreaking. The movie of the 90's. Got my vote.
Tom_green_day
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Matrix, by far.
Motorbiker
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tom_green_day)
Matrix, by far.
Why do you reckon Matrix?

I like vote but gave shawshank the nod for this time. It may be the expectation that it's a "great film" in my head clouding my judgement...
BttrLtThnNvr
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Such a hard choice, though Matrix for me edges it, as being mid twenties, it wow-ed me greatly when it came out
Tom_green_day
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Why do you reckon Matrix?

I like vote but gave shawshank the nod for this time. It may be the expectation that it's a "great film" in my head clouding my judgement...
Because SR is one of those long films that is slow and long to give the notion of it being a grand tale over the course of a long period of time, similar to Braveheart or Forrest Gump. The different is that I can remember the plots of those films, SR seems way too long and I can't remember a single plot point save that there was a library somewhere and a poster but I can't remember what they were about or why or anything.
Add to that it isn't really about anything. Not like my other examples Braveheart is about one man's fight for freedom, or Forrest Gump is about the insanity of war and peace and life and death in the second half of the twentieth century, a theme many Vietnam films are about. Matrix is about the way the world is become way more technological and life's parameters are constantly changing. It's about the way the world isn't standing still. But add to that it's a fun action blockbuster film, which automatically makes lots of people look down their noses at it.
EDIT: I'm not going to say a film needs to be about something to be good, that would be insane, but the way SR is talked about it's so good because it is about a topic, and it really isn't.
Rum Ham
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The Shawshank Redemption.

As much as I love The Matrix and sci fi in general, there was something about The Shawshank Redemption that hit me quite hard. I do see why some people say it is overrated or find it dull and drags on. To me it is overrated but still a great movie. I prefer The Green Mile to The Shawshank Redemption and I was shocked that film didn't make it higher on the list but at least it got a mention when the list first got started, so that's something
Motorbiker
Rep:
?
Shawshank takes the lead now. A solid 5 votes difference.
just a dad
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Shawshank takes the lead now. A solid 5 votes difference.
I'm starting to think that only The Lion King (:eek:) can stop Shawshank from winning.
Xotol
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Na no way Shawshank can lose to this ****
Canada Eh
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Come on Andy and Red!!! Dig your way out of this one!!
Motorbiker
Rep:
?
(Original post by Canada Eh)
Come on Andy and Red!!! Dig your way out of this one!!

They still got a slim one vote lead.

This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the blue pill—the poll ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whoever you want to believe wins. You take the red pill—you stay in MovieMadness, and I show you how deep the views of TSR goes. Remember, all I'm offering is the truth—nothing more.
silent ninja
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Lol
mynameisntbobk
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Voted matrix pulled it ahead
Motorbiker
Rep:
?
(Original post by mynameisntbobk)
Voted matrix pulled it ahead

very nice! one vote in it but a shock if Matrix knocks out shawshank!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (121)
28.27%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.32%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (84)
19.63%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.35%
No - I live at home during term anyway (126)
29.44%

Watched Threads