Oskarforsblom
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hello everyone, I'm a Swedish guy currently studying the IB Diploma in Sweden. I'm applying for law in England this autumn and I just have a couple of general worries/questions, if anyone has any input it'd be much appreciated

a) Is it common for international students to study law in England (or the UK)? I'm thinking that since English law is mainly applicable in England and the rest of the Commonwealth, people from other places might feel as if studying Law is not a good idea as it might restrict you to working in the UK?

b) Would you say that international students are at a disadvantage when seeking jobs in England post-degree? I.e. do firms prefer English graduates? Same question goes for pupillages and training contracts.

c) Would you say that being from Sweden, or anywhere else where English and the English legal system is not common practice, will put me at a disadvantage when studying law?

Thanks in advance for any answers!
Katie_p
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi!
I'm a third year law student, and I've seen lots of International students on my course. They're mainly from Asia or the Commonwealth, or else European students on an Erasmus year, but I've seen a few "normal" European students too! So to answer your first question, it's certainly not abnormal.

Firms won't differentiate that much between a Swedish student with a good grade in English law, and a British one, because you've had to sit the same exams! There are fewer adjustments available to international students in the UK (from my experience) than in some other countries, so they shouldn't fear that you've had a "leg-up" getting your degree by being foreign. As a student from the EU, you will also be entitled to work and stay in the UK without too many issues, so they wouldn't be put off by having to deal with visas.

The only disadvantages when studying will be your knowledge of the English language - which, if you have gained a place on the course, should be good enough - and perhaps prior experience of a very different legal system. The UK is a common law jurisdiction, meaning that the majority of what you will study is cases - interpretations of statutes, and judge-made law - whilst in many other European countries, it's a civil jurisdiction, where the actual thoughts of the judge play a minimal role, and the main thing you are concerned with is the legislation itself. If you have no prior experience of Swedish law, this shouldn't be an issue, and if you do, and Sweden has codified laws, just forget most of what you know about legal method and you'll be fine!

Have a look around the law forum here for an idea of the things you'll study, how exam questions work, and employment prospects after graduation!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (112)
5.01%
Uncertainty around my education (335)
14.98%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (242)
10.82%
Lack of purpose or motivation (311)
13.91%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (103)
4.61%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (129)
5.77%
Loneliness (192)
8.59%
Financial worries (86)
3.85%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (94)
4.2%
Exposure to negative news/social media (106)
4.74%
Lack of real life entertainment (119)
5.32%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (196)
8.77%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (211)
9.44%

Watched Threads