The Student Room Group

Repeat Second year due to health problems?

Hi All :smile:

I'm a Second year student, who has been having health problems for the last term, which progressed badly and resulted in hospital admission during exams. I managed to do 2/5 of my exams, and did well on those. However, since then I have been diagnosed after another hospital admission with a disability. At the minute, I'm having a bad time with it, and have been advised to avoid all levels of stress. I'm just wondering whether to try my best to continue, or what my other options would be, as I doubt I'd be allowed to repeat as I've passed the whole year so far.

Any advice would be appreciated :smile:
Hi there.

It depends on the subject you are doing and your uni conditions. Have they said that doing the 2/5 exams is sufficient to allow you to progress to the next year? If you have been allowed but are not well enough to continue straight away, you could take a year out and return to do the third year when you are better. :smile: You should discuss the possible options with them to see what would suit you best. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Hey,

I agree with the poster above- you may have sufficient credits without the extra three exams to progress to third year. If so, you can decide whether you are fit to continue or if you need to take a leave of absence for a year, undergo any treatment you might need and then return after that.

If not, then provided you have filed for extenuating/special circumstances due to your hospital admission then you should be allowed to repeat the exams that you missed 'Exam only' or 'Assessment only' this year, without completing any 3rd year work. Or you might be permitted to complete the three exams alongside your third year.

It all depends on your university and how many credits you missed when you were in hospital.

I hope it gets sorted out soon :smile:
Anyway listen to what you need and don't throw you in a situation, which is too stressfull, just because "finishing early/on time" is better.

As already said, there are a lot of possibilities and I just want to add one: part-time studying.

Quick Reply

Latest